Home Technical Talk

modelling cloth and tissue

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
Hello,

I want to model an object in 3ds max that has some cloth in it. In blender I had a solution for this. There I would use the cloth simulation, stop it at a point where I liked it and use it.

How do you guys model cloth? all the knits etc? Is there a more or less easy way to do it?

Thanks for help!

Replies

• AlexLeighton
    Cloth simulation is probably the easiest, unless you're a really good sculptor. 3ds Max also has garment maker, where you can basically trace off sewing templates and create seams and creases where they actually would be, I've gotten some pretty decent results using this in the past. In the Max help there's pretty decent tutorials about how to set this up.

You could then use a program like ZBrush to add any zippers or stitching to your model and bake out a normal map from that.
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    if you really want to make clothing, like with actual templates, pieces sown together with material types, pleats, folds, etc then marvelous designer 2 is good. You can make clothing in a similar way to putting together the real thing do the simulations and export the meshes. May be overkill for most things.
  • a-k-m
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Ok, thanks for the advices... It doesn't need to be to fancy, I think the garment maker will do.