Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yet Another.... Sci Fi corridor

mole420
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mole420 polycounter lvl 10
Been working on a new scene based of a concept by Aaron Whitehead.

On day 3 so far and think Im starting to get there really but looking for second opinions as this is for my portfolio so I want to make it the best i can. having trouble getting to lighting to match the concept. Anyway heres the concept:
maintenancetunnelbyhazz.jpg
And heres what I have so far:
wip5e.jpg

Cheers for looking, and always appreciate crits and comments

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice so far. How close to the concept are you aiming though?
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get it pretty close to the concept, Iv posted this over at Game-Artist and got some crits about scale of parts of the scene so have started to sort that out tonight will hopefully have an update tomorrow
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    Overall it's looking pretty good. Your scene doesn't have nearly as much depth as the concept, plus there is an adjoining hallway about 2/3 of the way down that isn't in your scene. Your textures could use a bit of work to wear the metal so that it looks like the space has had some use. Your lights are extruded from the ceiling, while the lights in the concept appear to be inset. The biggest thing you need to work on though is your lighting. It's so dark that most of your work isn't even visible. Also, its a really minor thing, but your floor lights have a red color to them, while the ones in the concept are much more orange.
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay made afew changes now, Re-scaled some of the assets and the depth of the scene. Have added to side corridor and signs. removed the DOF and toned down the bloom. Still not getting the specular to come out right yet though. Any way let me know what you think of the changes so far and anything else i might have missed.
    wip6y.jpg
  • Tiraldric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changes are looking good! Depth feels better. Receding the wall supports looks more like the concept too. Hard to tell, but I feel like your paint for the arrow symbols and the lower red and white "caution bar" on the back door look very clean compared to the concept. It feels much more scratched and damaged.

The only other thing I pick up on is that your lights feel like they've been extruded, and in the concept they look like they're inset. I think someone may have mentioned that before.

It looks great!
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some more changes from some more crits over at game-artist.
    @Tiraldric Good spotting there with the arrows and stripes had turned off the warn down layer completely missed that, Cheers. The lights have been inset a lot more than they originally where do you feel they stick out a little much still?

wip7r.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    hey, great stuff!

here's just some things i notice....

i find the lights too boring now, that's just me.

I would drastically lower the tiling of the metal grating floor... it doesn't tile that much in the concept and it's not displaying correctly with such a high level of detail.

i'd also tone down the noise on the wall panels.

i'd also be wary of those really bright specular values you have. they look blown out, especially if the place is as grungy as the concept.

you also need to adjust your lighting, all those lights at the top don't seem to be doing anything, for example, those metal arms sticking out, the top surfaces of them is just as dark as the rest of the model, look how bright the top surface is in the concept.

keep at it :).
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snow, Cheers for the tips! have toned down the floor grating was well over the top cheers for pointing that one out.
    Have made a number of other changes to more closely match the concept. Think Im getting closer now. wip8t.jpg