Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Mass Effect Corridor

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
snow polycounter lvl 8
Hey hey!

Thought I'd finally post this, it's been sitting on my pc for a while, but after a good mentoring from chrisradsby (thanks pal!) I thought I better get it up here for some crits to finish it off.

The scene is based off a concept by Brian Sum (http://cghub.com/files/Image/127001-128000/127826/501_large.jpg). Some other polycounters have done this scene and have done a fantastic job, so sorry for just being "another person" to do this concept.

I've always struggled with the lighting on this, and being my first scene in CE3 my lack of experience in the editor may show, so if you have any pointers please let me know!

Hope everyone's having a good easter weekend :).

Phcdp.jpg

xzocp.jpg

uOAmu.jpg

73vWQ.jpg

vOuaG.jpg

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, looks ME alright.

You forgot the Chest High Walls ;P

I'm not a fan of the OC truth be told, why don't you sprinkle some of your own 'flava' on it, to make it stand out?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Ace, it lacks personality. It is well crafted and super clean, but it doesn't look like anything happened or is going to happen in this scene. Try to add something of your own touch to it, and make it yours.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys, I see what you mean. I'll have a think about what I can do, I'm currently on to another assignment, but I'll be sure to revisit this.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Cool, will be waiting. When you do come back a few things that stand out for me:

-The sky outside is pretty dull, spruce it up.
    -Add a vignette like effect for frosting around the edges of the glass.

These two should get you started.
  • Comeback Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think it's awesome, gj!
  • RedRaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRaven polycounter lvl 10
    Loving those sweet reflective surfaces and good spec.
    Great work.
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karatekodden polycounter lvl 7
    Nice for being your first CE3 environment. I do have to stick to what the others think about the lack of personality. Maybe try to add some color, not just in the lights. And if you really want it to be a Mass Effect environment you have to make some tubes and wires on the floor. They are everywhere in the game :P Keep up the good work!
    Cheers
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man :) Nice to see you started working on this! The biggest issue is personality, even if you're following a concept you might want to add your own flair to it.

mass_effect_3___normandy_deck_ii_by_riot23-d4s90ys.jpg

Normandy_SR2_Crew_deck.jpg

Take a look at the lighting :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great Tim :) I second the idea of making it look a bit more lived in. Perhaps you could add some futuristic cleaning devices. I always wonder how they keep those ships so clean, haha.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    what about a panel or two thats been removed to perform some maintence on the pipes a shizzle behind...some tools and a dirty rag left lying around
  • Somni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the first question that popped up was "what is this hallway connected to?" or rather "what location and setting is this place in?" Right now it just seems like a hallway that is not connected to anything particular. It feels like it's not part of something larger than just a scifi hallway.

Right now it looks like it could be a corridor inside a medical station or a military station, or even a prison facility. It's too clean texture-wise, so it's hard to imagine where this corridor is at. I think ultimately context is key; if you can come up with the context of this corridor then you will be able to personalize this corridor and give it more life.

It looks awesome anyways :P
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    thanks guys!

as it is the common criticism i'll certainly add some personality to this soon! as i mentioned earlier i'd like to finish off my current project and revisit this, i'm in no hurry at the moment. but I apologize for not being able to attend to it now, but all your comments are duly noted!

Somni that's great advice, thanks for wording it in a way which will make it easier for me to give it some life :)