Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Station [Student Game Project]

Hey!

We are a bunch of students (Ten, to be exact) attending our second year at The Game Assembly in Malmö, Sweden. During two years, we make eight games and we are currently working on our seventh - an FPS.

Our team, Seldom Seen Games are working a horror/zombie/strange game, called Dead Station, set in an abandoned train/subway station. A dark, dilapidated setting lit up by colourful emissives and your occasional glowing mushroom. The deadline is due in a week, but I thought I'd take some time to post some screenshots, renders-for-viewing-purposes and whatnot. Some of the content has already been posted in the WAYWO-thread (guns, zombies...), but I'll do some reposting and new posting.

Some specifications:
● The game is made in 9 weeks (half speed the first 8 weeks, then full speed the last week)
● We are 6 artist and 4 programmers.
● The game engine is written entirely by our programmers in C++ though we use Havok for collision.
● All the content is produced by us - Mainly in Maya, Photoshop and ZBrush.

Art Team:
Ronja Melin – www.ronjamelin.com
Oskar Stålberg – www.oskarstalberg.com
Simon Lindwall – www.simonlindwall.com
Ricky Chau – www.rickychau.com
Filip Ericsson – www.filipericsson.com
Nicodemus Sandberg – www.karadram.com

Code Team:
Alexander Szmidt –
Christoffer Warkentin –
Benjamin Fahlgren –
Gary Au –

Screenshots:

The light and the reflections are somewhat off in the pictures, since our ambient light isn't working correctly, cubemaps don't blur the right way and some of the places are pitch black so I had to fire my flare gun to light them up.
deadStation_Screen1.jpg
deadStation_Screen2.jpg
deadStation_Screen3.jpg
deadStation_Screen4.jpg
deadStation_Screen5.jpg
deadStation_Screen12.jpg
deadStation_Screen8.jpg
deadStation_Screen7.jpg
deadStation_Screen9.jpg
deadStation_Screen10.jpg
deadStation_Screen11.jpg
deadStation_Screen13.jpg
deadStation_Screen6.jpg
deadStation_Screen14.jpg

Replies

• Louomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weapons, zombies, props...

flareGun_wip02.jpg
    SMG_upgrade.jpg
    revolverPresGun.png

frontalZombie.jpg

FPS_trashCans.jpghealthPacks.png
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    texture res seems all over the place...

what size is the texture on this FPS_trashCans.jpg
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont get it, there is like 4 different styles in the project.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I think the main problem of the game is about the art direction. The objects don't fit each other on the scenes. I see some inspirations from Team Fortress, Crysis 2 and Left 4 Dead, which are, completely different art styles. I would suggest someone to be assign at this task so everything will match each other.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    I think the main problem of the game is about the art direction. The objects don't fit each other on the scenes. I see some inspirations from Team Fortress, Crysis 2 and Left 4 Dead, which are, completely different art styles. I would suggest someone to be assign at this task so everything will match each other.

Felt the same thing, It feels like your art direction is all over the place.
    Otherwise i think you are doing a good job, so all i have to say is, forts
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Whoever made the;

Zombie~
    Litter Box~
    Environment Pieces like the Rock and Grey Walls~

Need to be slapped on the head.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Whoever made the;

Zombie~
    Litter Box~

I don't think it's necessary but yeah, some props need to raise their quality bar to be the same as the best stuffs (like the gun). On a portfolio, people will judge you from your weakest piece. So, good luck! :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoever made the;

Zombie~
    Litter Box~

Its called tact, try to use a little :)

Like everyone else has said the art direction seems a little messy.
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    For me, I look at this space and I begin to wonder what the story is... a lack there-of, I guess you could say. Granted you have these pieces in place where there MAY be a story, but right now I am not really getting that either from the screenshots that you've posted (doesnt tell enough) or it might chime in on what others are saying about the art direction.

Personally, I am not a HUGE stickler for story... but I do believe the most successful environments have at least SOME resemblance of a story. I want to be able to look at your environments and ask myself "what happened here?" and right now, I am not getting that feeling. I wish I could give you suggestions, but any suggestions I would give you could only bias your potential direction for the future of this project.

Aside from that, visuals, I am liking the feel of things, just tie that art direction together... best of luck.
  • Rednaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Other than the art direction, I think you should also work on your lighting. Right now some area's are very dark or very bright. The reflections are also a bit over the top, especially in the metro tunnel. In the dark area's you can maybe add some low intensity lights with some dark purple or blue colors to make the shadows less dark and a add a little color to them. You probably dont have time to adjust this, but maybe you can use it in your next project :p
  • samsonite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoever made the;

Zombie~
    Litter Box~

I made the zombie. Getting slapped might improve overall quality sometimes but I'm more interested in some real critique. What do you think I am doing wrong and what should I do about it?

Thanks everybody for taking an interest in our game :)
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    samsonite wrote: »
    I made the zombie. Getting slapped might improve overall quality sometimes but I'm more interested in some real critique. What do you think I am doing wrong and what should I do about it?

Thanks everybody for taking an interest in our game :)
    What i can point out on the zombie is. It's a good looking Modell, but it feels more like an undead for me. Limbs should be off, more clothing to show that it used to be human.. Maybe torn clothing?

couple of examples.

zombie_concept_art_by_oztech333-d3b6fby.jpg

residentevil2_conceptart_mIUJv.jpg

zombie_concept_003.jpg

tumblr_lzekw36h9k1qe1zgto1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1334012561&Signature=apT2ECC5IgaK9Fcvj6EPi8ASo74%3D

The texture work could be improved, it looks like the blood (maybe supposed to be coagulated) but seems to be more "oil-ish".

Well i hope this could be helpfull!