Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Character WIP... preview?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Vyktori polycounter lvl 4
I'm not amazingly sure where this goes. General Discussion kind of says not for models we've made, so I guess it goes here.

This is a quick test of my model imported into UDK. The material is just a placeholder of ambient occlusion+skin tone color and a normal map.

MaleTest3.png

The main problem is the shoulders. They look a bit off in the picture above, but it looks even worse when I try to raise his arm and point the elbow forward, like so...

ShoulderIssue1.png

I hope I'm posting this pictures the right way <__< Anywho, I know there is some nasty twisting/tearing and all that, but I haven't been able to get it to work properly after 2 something months of working on it. I've rebuilt the mesh, rebuilt the rig, tested every combination of weight painting/skinning...

Does anyone know a trick/example of how to get a rig that can effectively make a pose/animation like raising their hand with their elbow pointing somewhat forwards? Like if they were going to chop or something.

I use blender 2.62. I know there are some odd polys in the armpit, but even when I rebuild that area with all quads and lined up verts I get the same problem. Anything that can be done about this problem must also be supported by UDK.

I would really like to get this fixed. I am working on a game project that involves a lot of sword swinging and whatnot, so the ability to animate the shoulder/arm in those positions is kind of important.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be much easier to crit if you had some front/side pictures instead of just one perspective, it almost looks stretched or warped in that top one.

Do a Front/side render with no wires, then one with wires and repost them, it will be much easier for people to help you then :)
  • Vyktori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vyktori polycounter lvl 4
    The top one is in UDK so it is perspective mode... but the top one isn't really the problem. The shoulder deforms fine in that position.

I'm not sure, but I think this is what you wanted?

Topodisplay1.png