Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Low-poly street cleaning vehicle

Hello polycount.

This is my first post here. I'm currently working on a low-poly model of a street cleaning vehicle. This is mostly for learning, but I'm also thinking using it for a game for mobile devices. The limitation I set for myself is max. 500 tris and a 256x256 diffuse texture. The look should be friendly/cartoony.

Here are some first sketches and silhouettes.
0UyT2.jpg

Since the game (if there will be one) will most likely be top-down, I tried to come up with a shape that looks good from top-down (isometric) but also looks good at other angles:

NKo4U.jpg

The model is basically done (499 tris), currently I'm working on the texture. Below a wireframe and the texture WIP (with UV layout overlay):

23KfX.jpg

BCLIk.jpg

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I saw at other places that it's not good practice to have cylinder caps as triangle-fan. But I think it helps to save a lot of texture-space... what do you think?

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A picture without the wires would be nice aswell, i dont know about others but when im trying to look at a texture they distract me :P.

It looks like it suits the style you intended it for. I think its cute :P
  • bummzack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. Here's render without wires:
    w4ZIU.png

Just noticed that the "brushes" have a good contrast, while the rest of the texture lacks a bit thereof... will work on this and of course also complete the texture :)
  • bummzack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While I'm still tweaking the texture of my cleaning vehicle, I got sidetracked and modeled a pigeon to go with it.

156 tris, 64x64 texture

h5vCU.png

Wireframe:

sUzVB.png

Texture:

lBG0g.png
  • Veko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awsome pidgeon
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    fuckin LOVE the pidgeon!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Love stuff like this, great job on the textures for both models!
  • bummzack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the positive feedback you guys/gals! This will motivate me to keep pushing that vehicle texture so that I can bring you an update.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    cool stuff. the pidgeon is great, i wanna see it animated.
    like you wrote, vehicle lacks contrast. the glass could use some darker tones since at the moment it looks almost like a glowing screen.
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol that pidgeon is hilarious
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That alarm light on top is quite the eyesore. Add some extra sides to that and possibly make it a more like a chamfered cone than a completely 'round' shape. Having shapes that are supposed to look somewhat sharp will look more convincing than trying to make a round shape with too few polies.
    LTE_1121J_series_alarm_light.jpg

The light is the biggest issue, but you should probably add a chamfer on the wheel wells too. And I think you can save a few polies by having the broomhandles as a simple box with 5 sides (delete the side that's inside the cabin). If you feel you need to abso-deffo-posi-lutely need to stay under 500 triangles, take the wheels down to 10 sided.

I think having trianglefans is a good idea because of the UV-savings (though you can mirror half a circle if you use parallel edges), but also because of keeping the shading more consistent(doesn't apply to this specific case) and the possibility of making the end slightly convex or concave.

The pidgeon doesn't seem to fit the truck in terms of detail and texture style. On its own it looks good, though.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    agreed, that pigeon is AWESOME. great uv layout too.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, very cool pigeon and truck! I like it :]
  • bummzack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everybody for the replies.

@Snader: These are some very good observations, thanks a lot! I was able to reduce the poly-count on the broom-handles and I also improved the alarm-light. As for the tires: Since they don't have a very bright texture there, I think I can go ahead and fake the bevel with a highlight in the texture... what do you think?

@Blaisoid: You're right.. I wasn't even thinking about shading the glass. Thanks for that input!

I have revamped my UV layout and painted most parts of the texture again. I noticed that in my old layout I had very uneven scaling.. some areas had a much higher pixel density as others. I tried to address this in the new version. I think the texture could use some improvements, especially the glass isn't really convincing. Maybe somebody has some tips?

Here are updated pics:

5LHUs.png

Wire:

E3YJx.png

Texture:

0Ax3B.png

Render with some pigeons that are magically all in the same pose :) (looks like I need to use a higher-res texture for the vehicle..)

knroU.png
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe... cool stuff! Keep it coming!