Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deus EX- Street

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
sakechi polycounter lvl 7
hi Polycounters!!!

i have seen some great scenes created from the concept art for Deus EX- human evolution. so now i am going to step up to the plate. i am going to modeling out one of the street concept. I encourage you comment. the more critics the stronger artist i will became and more justice i can to the concept. i have some of the assets texture, so let me know what u think.

lets start with the concept:
Concept art by Eidos Montreal

deus-ex-human-revolution-concept-art-03%2520-%2520Copy.jpg

here what i get so far.

Test_1.jpg

i am pumped.:poly142:

Replies

• Tiraldric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing I notice right off the bat (and this is because I've played the heck out of Deus Ex and loved all the environments) is that it looks like in your scene on the holographic hangers on the left you've used a circular brush. In the concept and in the game it's actually a Regular Hexagon(All sides are even). The shape just feels right for these kinds of future environments.

Here's one of my favourite concept artists brush pack, which includes a brush that'll get the job done real easy.
    Link is at the bottom of his page:
    http://www.artoflevi.com/?page_id=1674
    or here:
    http://www.2shared.com/file/Zrglbika/LeviBrushSet.html

Cant wait to see this stuff with a cube map on it. Will be following.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    The "Hexagon" was a major motif of DE3, just in case you were wondering

Anyway, I like the idea of the "guy fox/anon" graffiti posters, but they seem too organized for that kind of thing.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I think the Hexagon was simple a design choice for a high recognition factor. The same with the golden light. The concept arts and this "world" can live without this elements.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP-2 Deus Ex

I been busy working on my scene, but I have not posted as offer as I wanted but I really need any critique from you guys. So let me have them. Thanks for viewing my WIP.

Test_5.jpg

Test_5B.jpg

Test_5D.jpg

Test_5C.jpg

Test_5E.jpg
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well here is other WIP.

I worked on the billboards.

Test_6.jpg

Test_6C.jpg

Test_6B.jpg
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just about to finalize my lighting.

Test_8.jpg
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it getting closer to the concept.

please critique polycounters!!!

Deus_Ex_Street_001.jpg

Deus_Ex_Street_004.jpg

Deus_Ex_Street_002.jpg
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    Nice, i loved deux ex: HR environments and i really think your scene is starting to look cool :)

I'm no pro, so my opinion might not be worth a lot,

i honestly think that the car doesn't fit as well as it should, it as a cartoonish look with it's silhouete.

the rest is going along nicely for the moment even if it doesn't seem " wet enough " yet (you will probably work around that in the future)

As for the tonality of the original picture, it his pretty " desaturated " with a golden filtre on the whole picture, we can hardly see any " red " color in the picture since everything is toned down to something close to a golden yellow. try creating a post process chain and add a uberpostprocesseffect module.
    Link it in view> world properties > world post proces chain and then play with your uberpostprecesseffect module to achieve this kind of look, i would say to try using the " desaturate " a bit and play with the colorize mainly with the X,Y ( X = red, Y = green ) to manage to get a " yellowish look " to your scene.

once again, i'm no pro and someone might come and give you a beter tip than mines.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking nice!. keep it up!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The V posters are a nice touch :)
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    That concept is awesome every time I see it. You're getting there, only thing for me is that some of the reflection colours are a bit off. I think you could contrast it a bit more (shadows darker) and the materials/textures for the ground are a bit too clean. That's it for now! Keep going!
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi polycounters,

i am keep working away. i figure out the solution to normal map being waste out.check it out.

Street_001.jpg

Street_002.jpg
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    I am by no means a professional (Im only a student :3) but I cannot help but feel the car takes a way from the scene, you can tell its just a flat texture (by the looks of it?) Unlike the rest of the scene which has a great sense of depth. I probably would take what I say with a pinch of salt as mentioned I can't model anything to any decent standard :P
  • tobehfaic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tobehfaic polycounter lvl 12
    I think to make it pop out good and proper, and ditch some of the 'flatness' the scene has is some decent ambient-illumination on the advertisements, and to be honest everything.

In Deus Ex HR a lot of the lighting is added to by having the area largely darkened, but with a large volume of glow and falloff light to bounce off anything reflective. Mostly in the shade of gold/orange, as is the games main colour palette for the cityscape and everything really. It made the world look more vibrant, even if every screenshot you look at was mostly golden/orange in look.

example: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/119398/2022836-deus_ex_human_revolution__hengsha_.jpg

Looking at your own interpretation, it feels much more bland in terms of colour and lighting. This will be your key element. That is probably what will bring this piece out of its shell fully. Look at your reference, everything that is lit has an ambient glow. Look into the lighting when you're happy with the scene to give it more life, in my opinion obviously.

e: an example, just photochopped your latest render in PS with some lighting addage and fog for the background and in the upper areas.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    You're definitely on the right path. The big thing that stands out for me is the lack of contrast with the bright signs and the dark street. It's all kind of in the same range of value. The concept has a lot of blacks in the corners of the streets and walls, while the signs are almost white where the lights are inside them. Consider adding some more lights, fog(back by the cafe), and probably a little bit of a post-process to bump up the contrast and colors. I think you would benefit from getting the reflections sharper too.

If this isn't meant to be game optimized, I would definitely push this a little further- at least with the post-process and lights. :)
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi polycounters,

please note that i did the WIP before i read the comments were post. i will continue to working on this scene with your advise in mind.

WIP_10.jpg
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    hey sakechi, nice WIP!

I agree that the car is one of the weak points in your environment. Personally, I would ditch it.

I think your scene would benefit from more "fill up" props and decals. Also, in what engine are you rendering this ?
  • Fastcarver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's starting to look really nice.
    For me the ground textures don't have enough detail. They look pretty flat. Take the sidewalk on the left side for example, the middle large portion of this is lacking details. There is one groove in the concrete running along the side walk but none going across as in the concept and the diffuse texture is very clean looking. Get some dirt spilling out from the cracks and grooves and around the bottom of the illuminated bollards. This will help sit them in the ground better. Also use the specular texture to differentiate between the areas that are dirty, and use this to mask the reflection on the ground too. This will bring much neede life to the foreground areas.