Home General Discussion

selling models/textures

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
recently I've been looking at the possibility of putting some of my stuff on sale. Ive got some questions about the whole thing first, if someone is more experienced in this stuff.

First of all, what would be the best place to put stuff on sale? The only site i know is turbosquid..

Secondly, If i do end up putting something on sale, does it restrict my right to use the asset in any way? Like for example currently I'm building a portfolio, and I could probably put some of the stuff that goes in there for sale (like trees and maybe few guns or somethin)? is this like generally acceptable or what?

Thirdly, Is there a reason why people (at least on polycount) generally dont sell their stuff (or atleast that i know of). I've seen a lot of great work here and really no indication as to it ever being on sale?

I've generally just put the stuff I make up for download on various sites because i like sharing my work and seeing people use it, but it would be nice to get some extra profit to help pay the bills and what-not.

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Why would your use be restricted? I've made it and your selling licenses to other people to use your asset.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its not legal to sell stuff if you don't have a commercial/professional version of every piece of software you used to make it.
  • PanzerGamingStudios
    What do you have for sale. I want to see some work!
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't want my models to be molested by Poser users.
  • RyanB
    Olli. wrote: »
    recently I've been looking at the possibility of putting some of my stuff on sale. Ive got some questions about the whole thing first, if someone is more experienced in this stuff.

First of all, what would be the best place to put stuff on sale? The only site i know is turbosquid..

Secondly, If i do end up putting something on sale, does it restrict my right to use the asset in any way? Like for example currently I'm building a portfolio, and I could probably put some of the stuff that goes in there for sale (like trees and maybe few guns or somethin)? is this like generally acceptable or what?

Thirdly, Is there a reason why people (at least on polycount) generally dont sell their stuff (or atleast that i know of). I've seen a lot of great work here and really no indication as to it ever being on sale?

I've generally just put the stuff I make up for download on various sites because i like sharing my work and seeing people use it, but it would be nice to get some extra profit to help pay the bills and what-not.

First- Unity Asset Store

Second - Depends on the contract, but if you made it you can decide for yourself. Read all of the legal documents for the store before you choose to sell your stuff.

Third - Most people have a job. Selling stuff on the side is unnecessary and probably not allowed while working as an employee.
  • Donavonyoung
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    AHH don't let them use it in Poser if you do. I hate that cursed program!!
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »
    Its not legal to sell stuff if you don't have a commercial/professional version of every piece of software you used to make it.

hmm what if the version i use is not exactly registered TO ME, but its still a fully paid and registered version?
    edit: and i have permission to use it?
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Olli. wrote: »

some reason :

1. because these are their work for client, they cant re-sell.
    2. because they use other people concept , its fine for personal work and portfolio, but also they cant re-sell.
    3. because it is personal art, its for pure art and its not for sale.
    4. because they have high standard, they won't put their speed drawing practices and speed modeling practices on store for sale.
    5. some people not interested in entrepreneurship at all , they do art to work for blizzard.
  • pass
    LMP wrote: »
    Why would your use be restricted? I've made it and your selling licenses to other people to use your asset.
    the same to me .g.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »

I've learned that people don't care if things are illegal, when did that stop anyone. But I am glad someone said It.

Also You make the "rules/contract" up since your selling your work so whatever you don't want someone to do to It (or what you want to do with It) you have to specify that in the "contract".
  • Ben Apuna
    If you want to get paid for making art before landing a studio job then:

Doing contract work will result in working on a project that hopefully has art direction which will result in more interesting artwork that can (again hopefully) go in your portfolio. You also get paid a guaranteed amount of money, provided you don't get ripped off. This also gets you a little experience that you can list on your resume.

Selling artwork on various websites tends to lead to a more generic art style so that it can appeal to the most customers (less art direction, less interesting portfolio pieces). This also leads to a very unpredictable amount of money earned. No "working with others" experience for your resume this way either. It's also only a matter of time before your work gets pirated...
  • RyanB
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Selling artwork on various websites tends to lead to a more generic art style so that it can appeal to the most customers (less art direction, less interesting portfolio pieces). This also leads to a very unpredictable amount of money earned. No "working with others" experience for your resume this way either. It's also only a matter of time before your work gets pirated...

You can lower your variance by making lots of smaller packages instead of a few big packages. Smaller packages allow you to try different styles in a shorter period of time.

Selling your work directly is a good experience for anyone aspiring to work on the business side of games. You are responsible for marketing, customer relations, research, pricing, etc. It might be on the micro scale but I think it is valuable.

Your work will be pirated, no matter how low you set the price. But the piracy will be done by teenagers that won't or can't contribute and don't have the ability to make use of your assets.