Home Unreal Engine

Can see static mesh in the level

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
I'm having a new founded issue with exporting my model into UDK. I've exported a modular part of a building, collision included, but when I drag it into the level and play test it the building doesn't show up. I've imported a few other things successfully, but all of a sudden nothing wants to load properly. I added a diffuse thinking maybe that was the issue, but it wasn't. I haven't changed any settings or anything. Any ideas?

Also, does UDK not like it when you use Pro Boolean because I subtracted some shapes to get some windows, clean mesh and all in 3ds Max but when you look at it in UDK the wireframe is all messed up.

38342237.jpg

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you save the package that you imported the mesh into? The mesh will show up in the editor but NOT when you play the game without saving first...
  • PanzerGamingStudios
    Sounds like your coordinates are way off. X Y Z in max make sure you model is at 0,0,0 than export out as an ase, import into udk, and it should now work. Also when you are modeling how are you modeling the size. Just by winging it or are you following the udk real life scale for max?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    :\ saving it was the problem. I hadn't been saving because I didn't want to have to keep deleting and re-saving if something didn't work out. Woops haha.

I haven't been worrying about scaling until the model is done. I plan on using the collision or a column, with the units set to 96, to be my guide at scaling the model up or down. The wall is set to 0, 0, 0 but I think it's cause I'm using Boolean so it's adding the extra cuts. I've been exporting as a .ASE but don't get the option to triangulate so I gave .FBX a shot and it doesn't even show the windows when imported. Instead, I get a flickering effect like the windows are overlapping each other. Since UDK triangulates for me should I even worry about doing it myself? If I add the cuts myself do I just turn off UDK's triangulation?
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Did you save the package that you imported the mesh into? The mesh will show up in the editor but NOT when you play the game without saving first...

Oh wow! Thank you for this! I didn't realise you had to do this! I thought it was a glitch and restarted UDK very time! Thank you!