Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M-96 Mattock (ME3)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
NickGW polycounter lvl 7
Here's a Highpoly I've been working on based off a piece of concept art by Brian Sum from Mass Effect 3. I'll be starting the lowpoly soonish. Looking forward to any crits any of you may have.

Mattock_Rend2.jpg

Mass_Effect_2_Concept_Art_by_Brian_Sum_11a.jpg

Replies

• NickVW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awsum :> could you post a wire please?

btw, people are so getting confused over our names O_O
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    NickVW wrote: »
    looks awsum :> could you post a wire please?

btw, people are so getting confused over our names O_O

Haha, yeah this could get confusing, I guess we should both start using different avatars to help alleviate that.

Oh and here are the wires.

Mattock_Wires.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Can't give proper crits without more angles to look at, but I feel some of the edges are too hard (which in games) can be paint to read at distances, so you could soften them more.

Not realistic, I know, but helps edges to be read better at distances.

So yeah, more angles plox!
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    I was worried that some of the edges were still too hard. I'll do another pass at them. Here are a few more angles, let me know if there are any other areas you want a better view of.

Mattock_Wires2.jpg

Mattock_Wires3.jpg

Mattock_Wires4.jpg

Mattock_Wires5.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the textures.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Here are some updated renders, reduced some of the hardness on a lot of the edges like Ace-Angel suggested.

Mattock_Rend4.JPG

Mattock_Rend_Side.JPG
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Finally got around to making some changes to the high poly. Most of them are with the floaters, muzzle and carrying handle. I'm going to start the low poly now and I'll be aiming for somewhere between 2k to 3k tris. From what I understand that's a good tri count range for a third person weapon. Let me know what you all think.

Mattock_3.jpg
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    My favorite Cerberus except for maybe the Harrier which is pretty close to the Matttock. Can't wait to see the texture. Good Job so far.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    I was able to get the tri count down into the range I was aiming for. There are a few areas I think I can whittle down even further. This is certainly the most complex model I've had to create a low poly for. I was wonder what types of things do you guys normally keep in mind when creating your low poly?

With the 3rd person view in mind I focused on maintaining the silhouette from the side view and certain curves from the back of the gun, that way it is identifiable from a distance, but also doesn't look too faceted if it were closer. I also left some areas mirrored (bottom front), but areas closer to the camera unique(scope, carrying handle). Not sure if this was the best way to go about it, but I did what made sense at the time.

Mattock-4.jpg
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Here's where I'm at so far with texturing the Mattock. I've given each part of the gun a preliminary pass, adding scratches, general wear and tear and trying to capture how I think the surface should feel. From here I'll go over the areas I've covered again and focus on creating some more localized detail as well as trying to dial in the surface qualities I'm not satisfied with.

Let me know what you guys think.

Mattock_7.jpg
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great, i like the texturing and the scratches on everything. good job!
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks dpaynter!

Finished with this one unless I or someone else spots something. I had a lot of fun doing the texturing, was able to use a few tricks I've picked up from a lot of you guys here on PC. I'll be starting my next project in the coming days.

Mattock_9.jpg

Mattock_8.jpg