Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bushmaster ACR rifle

Replies

• Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    My only concern about DropBox is how safe it is? I mean so that other people won't get an access to my data stored there?

Tahnks, Phrexeus. SyncToy looks pretty interesting, I'll definitely give it a try.

Thank you for all your suggestions :)
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    It was quite a while since I worked on this model last time. I had to remodel some of my high poly model and completely remodel my low poly model again. Here's an update. I'm done with normal map baking and ready to start texturing. Feel free to comment and critique what I have so far :)

UDK shots:
    WIP_6.jpg
    WIP_7.jpg
    WIP_8.jpg
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Aww, nice, you never surrend! And better than first version :)
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, SPYFF! Yeah I decided to finish it no matter what. I also used a little bit different approach for modeling low poly this time, more optimised for normal map baking which I learned from the tutorials :)
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Working on diffuse texture for the rifle now. I'm liking the colours so far and some of the small details. nDo2 is such a great tool to quickly add details to your normal maps which otherwise would take hours to model and bake!

WIP_9.jpg
    WIP_010-1.jpg
    WIP_011-1.jpg
    WIP_012.jpg
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good - excited for spec!!
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Still working on diffuse, specular and gloss. Missing some details in certain areas but it's getting there. I would really appreciate any comments and suggestions on how to improve it.

WIP_013.jpg
    WIP_014.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looks a lot plastic not metal, I would like to see more than one material on the gun. Rubber on the hand part, low spec low gloss, metal - high gloss, high spec.

Start by blocking in the various materials with flat colors then move on to details. You got flats?

The normals are looking good. :)
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the suggestions, Chris! I'm trying to match this model as close as possible to the real world and the real rifle looks pretty matte. Also it hasn't any rubber parts on the handle :) Something like THIS But yeah I'm still struggling with some metallic parts. I think I need to tweak my specular a bit more.

Here's my flats so far
    Flats_ACR.jpg
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liamdes polycounter lvl 5
    liking it. any wires for the finished high poly?
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    liamdes wrote: »
    liking it. any wires for the finished high poly?

Here's the wires. Not the most prettiest topology, but it does its job I think :)
    wires.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I could be mistaken but I believe EOtech optics can come in tan? Either that or the soldiers have gotten pretty good at painting over them. Was the choice to leave it white intentional? Like to have many attachments on a separate UV sheet?

Beautiful model and texture though. Really enjoyed browsing through the progress.
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    I could be mistaken but I believe EOtech optics can come in tan? Either that or the soldiers have gotten pretty good at painting over them. Was the choice to leave it white intentional? Like to have many attachments on a separate UV sheet?

Beautiful model and texture though. Really enjoyed browsing through the progress.

Thanks :) As for the EOTech it's actually just a AO bake, I didn't start texturing it yet, but I think I'll stick with the black colour scheme for it. I decided to have the separate 1k texture for the attachments and the rifle itself has 2k texture
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury wrote: »
    Thanks :) As for the EOTech it's actually just a AO bake, I didn't start texturing it yet, but I think I'll stick with the black colour scheme for it. I decided to have the separate 1k texture for the attachments and the rifle itself has 2k texture

I love that idea. I've always toyed with the idea of having several weapon attachments modeled and referencing a single texture sheet, able to be toggled at any point. But at the end of an assignment, I always get too excited to begin my next project and never execute that plan. I wish you luck with your patience, and hope it's better than my own.
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    BringMeASunkist: Thanks! I'll do my best :)

Alrighty, some progress on EOTech 552 scope.

WIP_016-1.jpg
    WIP_017.jpg
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Alrighty. This is as far as I can push the texturing so far, so I guess I can call it done :) Next stop is rigging and UDK showcase scene set up

WIP_018.jpg
    WIP_019.jpg
    WIP_020.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bud this is super close but the noise on your plastic is a bit rough. I can't tell if that noise is in the normal map or the spec, but either way it needs to be about 15-20% as intense as it is right now. I included a picture of one of my handguns that has the same polymer plastic/ metal construction and as you can see, the plastic is quite a bit smoother. It feels smooth to the touch but the light shows the noise (and only the light, meaning it should be in the specular only).
    L7XZE
    L7XZEL7XZE.jpg

This is seriously so close to perfection man. I'd hate for you to quit now.
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the reference photos they are going to pretty useful. As for the noise I think it's both my normal map and ao bakes. When I rendered it to texture I applied a bump material for the plastic parts to get this plastic noise going, but I think the settings for it a little bit to high. Now I need to rebake my normals and AO. Damn texturing, still can't quite get it right :poly122:
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury wrote: »
    Thank you for the reference photos they are going to pretty useful. As for the noise I think it's both my normal map and ao bakes. When I rendered it to texture I applied a bump material for the plastic parts to get this plastic noise going, but I think the settings for it a little bit to high. Now I need to rebake my normals and AO. Damn texturing, still can't quite get it right :poly122:

Hmm, if I were to give that a try I'd grab a texture of sand> completely desaturate it> adjust the levels to where it's just organic noise and overlay it on the plastic part of the spec only. (a technique I learned from a now-removed racer445 tutorial).

Kill the noise in the normal and see how that looks. If you need more noise, bring back a bit of the normal but very, very sparingly. Remember that the plastic feels smooth and the noise is only visible in highlights.

Very excited to see your progress though
  • CaptainRev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this would be fun to animate :P
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Alright. I'm done. Here's final renders in UDK! More pictures can be found on my website :)

01-2.jpg
    02-2.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has really come a long way. I'm encouraged to see your progress, you really made a stand-out piece
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you! I put a lot of effort and time into this model especially in terms of texturing :)
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    A quick first person view test in UDK
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-Zwts58D4"]Bushmaster ACR UDK first person view test[/ame]
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    A small update. I added a real-time web 3d preview. Check my first post for the links :)