Home General Discussion

Autodesk supports the out of work professional!

Just in case, anyone didn't realize they did not need to be in school for the free eligible Autodesk software, Or how easy it was to get accepted.

Autodesk has an assistance program for educational software versions if you are a professional that is out of work?
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=17354855
An Autodesk Assistance Program participant is either a veteran or unemployed individual who has (a) previously worked in the architecture, engineering, design or manufacturing industries, has completed the online registration for the Autodesk Assistance Program, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of eligibility for that program.

If you do not qualify as a student. with no student email. Autodesk will still provide the fully functional softwares with an educational license for those out of work

In case you were not aware how simple assistance status was to get?
Simply registering an account at the educational website using the out of work pull down menu automatically gives you the assistance acceptance!
https://students.autodesk.com/?nd=register

Just like any other web membership, replying to the emailed verification link completes the process.

I remember having to copypaste that verification address into another email because the link was not activated.

Sadly, the creative suite is not included in the educational license. If you can not afford it otherwise, and you want to learn any of the value added suite tools like Turtle. You still need to download the trial and take in as much as possible within the 30 days. ( I am sure Autodesk would give extensions if requested? )
But I really hope that the 2013 educational versions will include Gameware tools like HIK and Beast 2013. In which case I could care less if I about turtle! :)

I assume that Epic would need to expose functionality in UDK in order to use Gameware? Like they have with scaleform. If you visit, the Gameware How to Video learning Channel. The quick start ups do an awesome job in walking you through programming in HIK.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvhBz4KUlo&hd=1"]HumanIK Integration into Unreal Engine 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Some of the new Beast features look like a godsend if they really bring as much interactivity to building light bakes.

Replies

• Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Very good of you to highlight dr jekyll, cheers!
  • dr jekyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autodesk no longer provides the educational version to the out of work professional.

I guess that just makes me an ordinary run of the mill LOSER :poly138:.

You will receive notice if you try to upgrade now with the updated requirements and you will have to email a request to continue as before and hope for approval.
    To their credit, Autodesk has allowed me to continue without an educational institution email for the past two version changes!

God bless u Autodesk! :thumbup:

So I just wanted to update this post in case anyone in the same boat thought that the same was a lost cause. Perhaps Autodesk will be as charitable to others now living in their mothers basement.

The new requirements for educational version supposedly is as follows.
    a. A faculty member is an individual person who is an employee or independent contractor working for an educational institution which has been accredited by an authorized governmental agency within its applicable local, state, provincial, federal, or national government and has the primary purpose of teaching its enrolled students.
    b. A student means an individual person enrolled as a student at an educational institution which has been accredited by an authorized governmental agency within its applicable local, state, provincial, federal, or national government and has the primary purpose of teaching its enrolled students.
    c. An Autodesk-sponsored design competition mentor is an individual who provides guidance, advice, coaching, or instruction to competitors engaged in competing in an Autodesk-sponsored design competition, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such status. A competitor is a student or other individual who is registered and accepted or otherwise approved by a design competition organizer as a competition participant and who, upon request by Autodesk, is able to provide proof of such statu
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=17354855
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    So...work a week at McDonalds. Use the minimum wage earnings for one months worth of Autodesk rental.

If you're absolutely green, start using free Blender. You can swith the UI to Max or Maya style.
  • dr jekyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    So...work a week at McDonalds. Use the minimum wage earnings for one months worth of Autodesk rental.

If you're absolutely green, start using free Blender. You can swith the UI to Max or Maya style.

I apologize I don't think I made the gist of my post clear enough.
    I am trying poorly to make the observation that even though Autodesk has indeed changed their policy in regards to their Educational versions. All is not lost perhaps. Because I have found that Autodesk has been lax with this policy for those out of work and willing to email Autodesk stating their case and making their plea. I have found Autodesk has still been charitable and deserving of Kudos.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm pretty sure you don't even need a .edu email address if you want to claim an educational copy of the software. Shouldn't really matter at all who uses an edu license as long as it isn't used for profit.