Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skeletal & Muscular Scan/Retop/Sculpt

Hi everyone.

I'm currently undertaking my final year at University and am working on my FYP. I have chosen to blend anatomy studies with the 3d modelling techniques I have learnt over the last couple of years.

My FYP is to construct a layered 3d visualization of the human anatomy, including the skeletal and muscular systems. This project has been chosen to better my understanding of these two systems and accuracy shall be key a core aspect central to it.

I have scanned the model below with an Artec M Scanner, and have 'retopped' manually to achieve the base mesh. The model has been exported into Zbrush where I plan on adding the muscles and then, time permitting, add/sculpt as much detail as I can.

This is my first time posting...ever, and am looking for constructive criticism and suggestions that will undoubtedly improve my work for when the looming deadline arrives.

Screen grabs of the process so far are below. Please let me know if more screenshots/angles are required etc. Just to clarify this is very much a work in progress! :P

resizedmodel.png
Scanned this guy

resizedscan.png
Raw scan data

resizedskele.png
Retop of scan data

resizedmuscle.png
Muscles all separate as subtools in Zbrush

The idea for the muscular system is to create all the outward facing muscles, and include some of the major muscles that lie beneath, some of which are included but are obviously obscured in the images. If asked for I will happily post the 'secondary layer of muscles'.

Looking forward to seeing the comments,

JRJN

Replies

• StuButler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuButler polycounter lvl 9
    I think the pose would benefit from being closer to something you would expect from a developing character model.

If this is for reference during character creation an A or T pose might be more ideal, the draped pose, whilst accurate to your original scan doesn't offer the best reference for creating new character models, it looks very draped and elongated.