Home Technical Talk

titlable textures (making 3DS max)

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hi all,

I've been experimenting with some technqiues for making titale textures. I have made some square tilable textures using boxes and offseting them 256. This works well. To see/test if the tilling works.

Now I have bricks that have been placed on the grid (16) and vertex snapped to getther. Only these bricks are 45 degrees. So basicly you're know longer on the grid any more.

I have noticed that 256 doesn't work any more, but offseting it 272 px does. Is this logical? Can the render to Texture plane be different size and is this based on the offset you are using?

I would like to know if this is correct?

I have checked it in PS Offseting it 512x128 and looks perfect(only height)

RTT in 3DS max is 512 x 256

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/texturetiling.jpg

Can I also flip the texture/normals If I wanted to make a right side. To save Texture space?

Thanks,
Decorix

Replies

• renderhjs
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decorix polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for posting the image. Do you need to leave the IMG tags?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    its more comfy to display the image straight into this thread (more luck of getting any response). And yes you need the IMG tags in square brackets like
    [img] urlOfImage [/img]

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Well, 272 - 256 is 16, a power of 2 difference. It isn't completely logical, but it is still (coiincidentally?) a power of two, syncing up with the texture plane and possibly the world grid.

A quick question too - what are you specifically offsetting? Is it the chunk of bricks?
    Can I also flip the texture/normals If I wanted to make a right side. To save Texture space?

You mean the border like you have on one side? I would suggest duplicating the 3D models. Translating normals means moving the green/red channels to be light differently, essentially incorrect to the rest of the texture. Normals are rendered based on world light interaction, adjusting these in photoshop leads to error.