Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High School AP art final portfolio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I am a senior in highschool (17 years old) and our portfolios are finally coming to an end and here is my final batch of images. I was delighted to find out 3 weeks into my new school year that we had a class set of pen tablets, and my teacher had never seen a student utilize them such as I did :poly142:

Here they are (these were painted at a higher resolution than they were printed so you may have issues seeing the details. I was learning to paint this entire school year, I had just gotten my own tablet a few months before and planned to dedicated this school year to learning.

THE PAINTINGS ARE IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OVER ABOUT 6 MONTHS.

Most of these took about 2 hours, with many filler practices in my sketchbook and on the tablets in between.

So much I could have done better in this one looking back, haha
monster_painting_by_frell262-d4naxty.jpg

6d61736b.jpg

knight_painting_by_frell262-d4naxhx.jpg

soldier_painting_by_frell262-d4naynb.jpg

chucky_painting_by_frell262-d4nay8j.jpg

64696e6f726578.jpg

fallout_3_painting_by_frell262-d4omu1j.jpg

736b756c6c7363616e.jpg

pirate_chief_concept_by_frell262-d4uiom2.jpg

chicken_portrait_by_frell262-d4uvcln.jpg

Many issues I had with other students was they didn't really understand the idea of "concept" art. I wasn't going for mona lisas, I was trying to pass moods/designs (mostly ideas until I really got a grasp of painting towards the end) They looked at the soldier right in the focal point when they first saw it, but if that started to look at it long after the initial "wow" they began to ask why I didnt detail the ground or shoe or gun so much.

Towards the end I weened back to black and white to make sure I had a good idea of imaginary light before I went back to color.

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You are lucky your high school provided tablets :) Just curious, what are you planning to do after graduating?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure honestly. I gave up on high poly 3d characters because it was more frustratingly technical than it was artistic, but I seem to enjoy painting so possibly a low poly asset/character artist for mmorpgs/mobile. Not sure, the hours and relocation of the industry offsets me alot so most graphic work after HS will be making apps with my friends which is always better than nothing :)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    True, 3d is frustrating starting out. you just have to suck it up and learn it, because you will learn it eventually. The key is never giving up.
    I’ve made the efforts to learn 3d because of how prominent its becoming in the artistic mainstream and the likeliness of getting a job vs 2d and the challenge and benefits it offers.

As for being a painter, I would suggest putting more time into painting and study. I see a lot of copying in your work, not referencing but copying which is bad. Also even in concept work you want basic proportions down as well as light/shadow accuracy. IE, If you want to become a competitive 2d artist you will need to become amazing. Study and paint.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    If 3D was easy none of us would be on this website. Stick with it, find a school that has a good 3D program that interests you, and you will be glad you did.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been doing 3d for such a long time it just started to become boring to me, this was the last thing I made that was a high poly character:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/229/8/3/yuri_character_sculpt_by_frell262-d46vx32.png

I still really like hand painting low poly characters but that's so cliche its probably not very persueable

Rj, the only ones I copied were the soldier, chucky, and fallout. The rest I used photo ref sometimes
  • chakkrit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I started 3D I hated MAX with a passion. We get on now, but not without our tiffs. Zbrush is the nicest part for me. But once you really get in to it, making characters is an enjoyable and rewarding experience. My favourite part is probably seeing your creations move at the end with a rig.

Anyway, for you my friend, if you like painting then I'd suggest getting in to concept art. But first, get a grounded knowledge of anatomy, of humans and animals. Take up life drawing or something to hone your skills. It's true that mobile games and apps are booming at the moment, but if your drawings are top notch, you can go in to concept and really let your imagination fly. Look at other artists work for inspiration, not to copy. Make a style that is unique to you! Good luck :D

Also, on an end note, I realise university has become rather expensive now, but there are quite a few that offer games related courses for all trades, art, design, animation etc. The most important thing is though, never stop.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id really like to clear some stuff up :P

I study all the time!!! I have a 7 page anatomy thread on PC that spans over 6 months and I learned so much!! I never forgot what an impact it made and how rapid I progressed with sculpting and even more how it impacted my understanding of forms in drawing!

I study privately, take tons of notes and try and mark key landmarks or things to remember:

anatomy_notes_by_frell262-d4rytjg.jpg

I still sketch traditionally very often:
    witcher_based_sketch_by_frell262-d4t7631.jpg

And heres even a practice I did today because I got fed up with having issues "guessing" highlights and shadows

BOOM STUDYING COLOR THEORY :d:D:D:D

color_pract_by_frell262-d4v6qbk.jpg

Practice can only get so far. Sometimes you need to sit down and ask yourself why and analyze ;)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job, your studys are good, now all you need to do is aply them. Try drawing figures in different poses, or jump into color theory.

you HP is decent but I dont understand why youve given up on 3d. High poly is just a small facet. There is low poly, building apropriate geo for animation, normals, spec and all kinds of other facinating things.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because I always had issues and felt overwhelmed when I dealt with too many layers of polygons or little assets. Belts, straps, buckles, laces all confused me mostly because I was confused of weather something should be a separate model or not or how it would need to be built so it would animate well
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel ya man. I felt the same way...I still feel the same way because there is so much to learn. Im realy new to 3d as well and going serious for about 3 months now but I am starting to wrap my head around it. I remember when I was completely flusterd and discuraged with 3d but I always told myself that I will look back at this point and laugh when I I do understand it and was making awsome stuff. Eat an elephant 1 bite at a time.
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good work you got going so far. If you do decided to pursue more 3d stuff, you will have this strong foundation that will only help you become a good 3d artist.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    I still really like hand painting low poly characters but that's so cliche its probably not very persueable

?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he used the wrong wordage. Or doesnt know what cliche means, no offence, frell.
  • WREA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're not into 3D try being a concept artist..you're really at drawing and you obviously studied your anatomy because of school...just a suggestion...
    *Also one more thing I observed with artist if you know how to draw people/characters sculpting in ZBrush should come natural to you..
    Try Zbrush out...you might like it.
    **On your work..I love your Chucky that is your strongest piece (I like the lighting)...& I don't know how I feel about your last piece...to me this seems like this is still a sketch.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RJBonner wrote: »
    I think he used the wrong wordage. Or doesnt know what cliche means, no offence, frell.
    No I used it correctly ;) I was just saying that hand painted low poly is so overused and popular there is an abundance of artists already specializing in it
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    well, you could say the same about sculpted creatures, realistic weapons or hard surface enviro assets.

if someone's hand pained stuff looks cliche it's probably because it sticks to some very popular art style, rather than due to the fact that it's hand painted.
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some great stuff man!
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    well, you could say the same about sculpted creatures, realistic weapons or hard surface enviro assets.

if someone's hand pained stuff looks cliche it's probably because it sticks to some very popular art style, rather than due to the fact that it's hand painted.
    ^This...

Painted models are only as cliche as the ideas you put into them. Same as painted paintings.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Wow good job man, looks good now go become surgeon, and make tons and tons of money!!! retire early loaded with cash and do whatever you want!!!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii wrote: »
    ^This...

Painted models are only as cliche as the ideas you put into them. Same as painted paintings.
    I mean Allods, WoW, and Torchlight all look the same to me and theyre pretty much the biggest batch of hand painted games.

You do raise a good point though, I just didnt want it to be so common itd be hard to find a job. Like FirstKeeper, she is absolutely amazing and it took her so long to get a job with Blizzard and only worked for Allods a few years before (I think)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blizzard to a game artist is like microsoft to a programmer. Its at the top of the food chain and everyone is trying to get in so its unlikely. imo, you shouldent shoot for one studio, although it worked for firstkeeper because of hard work and persistance.