Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback needed - alien mining facility WIP

Hi, im looking for feedback and advice concerning my WIP alien mining facility.
thanks in advance, sorry the pics are abit dark im updating as i progress.

cheers all :)
jzTub.jpg

Replies

• Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    I've never actually been to a real alien mining facility, so I'm not quite sure how accurate this is... :P

There is nothing based off of reality in these pictures. Use things that we can wrap our minds around, then stretch them to unrealistic scenarios. That way we can understand how this thing "might" work.

We have no idea what it is mining.

We have no idea how it is mining.

And we have no idea where it is mining.

It looks like a Death Star with glowy bits, to me. But I only say that because thats the only thing I can compare it to..

The textures aren't bad and the bigger ring around it reads as metal. Watch out for that spec blowing out to much though. This could turn into a cool environment if you can get some more realistic elements into it.
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm ok, well its work in progress and more structures will be added.... Its an alien sci fi environment so i didnt want to base it on reality, its just the style i was after., but i understand what your saying & thanks for ur comments.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like there's some texture stretching happening around the tube protrusion things. One thing I would say though is that your model lacks context. I have no idea how big it is, or what any parts of it are for. When building something like this reference is still useful even if the end result doesn't exist, because most structures are built for practicality, regardless of their setting.
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weather effects added and afew more structures, more to add. any more comments much welcome
    6xbpN.jpg
  • pr0sorrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming a long really nicely and looking really cool, with those extra structures and massive hole its now much easier to indentify what it is and whats going. You could perhaps add some forms of whatever it is mining or ways of how it actually extracts the material to the scene as it can still be read as just a machine that digs holes in the ground. Keep up the good work.
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated screen shots fpLjV.jpg
  • anarcy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good only thing i would have to say is were is all the energy to run this thing coming from at the moment it just looks like a stand alone ball

also think about the drill bit it a conventional v shape or it is a laser, take into account hw far it will be drilling and how/if it collects the rocks/minerals and were it dumps it
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh your right, the energy would come from the lightening in the clouds was my idea, i need to add more structures but ive ran out of time because its for uni and i have to wrote 12,000 word report to go with it. Shame because i could get it looking much better. Thanks for your good comments and ideas dude!