Home Technical Talk

16 bit texture problem in zbrush

PVJ
PVJ
Im having a weird problem with zbrush, I save out a 16 bit displacement map in PS and when I try to open it in zbrush it looks like this

pQKdf.jpg

3NYzL.jpg

the coloured one is as a texture, and the other one is as an alpha

Anyone know how to fix this? I already turned max preload file size to the max, and im using 4r2.

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Is it saved as a 16-bit greyscale image, not RGB? Also make sure you don't have an alpha channel either, or it'll screw up.
  • PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    Is it saved as a 16-bit greyscale image, not RGB? Also make sure you don't have an alpha channel either, or it'll screw up.

I tried that just now and it gave me the shitty 8 bit swirls when I tested it in zbrush I also tried saving as a psd, jpeg, png, and tiff, still get the same result, either the weird pixelated version or the 8 bit swirled version
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you're trying to apply it with drag rect, you need to account for the focal shift on the brush. If you want it across the entire plane, you could try applying it as an actual displacement map under Tools: Displacement /map
  • PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    cryrid wrote: »
    If you're trying to apply it with drag rect, you need to account for the focal shift on the brush. If you want it across the entire plane, you could try applying it as an actual displacement map under Tools: Displacement /map

No im trying to import a displacement map to mask and offset as a base to sculpt out some cliffs/rocks/general rock/stone walls. So far the only fix is to import 8 bit maps and smooth out the weird swirls that happen.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Where does the drag rect + alpha come into the picture? And what does the actual map look like?
  • PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    cryrid wrote: »
    Where does the drag rect + alpha come into the picture? And what does the actual map look like?

The alpha and texture are the same just a displacement map from ndo2, the only difference is one i apply it as a drag rec alpha and the other i apply as a texture, anyway i decided to just use 8 bit maps and smooth out the stepping with hpolish, worked out alright.
  • Fomen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomen polycounter lvl 4
    I have the same problem when using stencil for sculpt. Any ideas? What is it? 
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Save as a 16-bit greyscale PSD. Make sure that the image has no alpha channel, and that the bottom layer is set to background (if it's not, do Layer > New > Background from Layer).