f6.jpg
    Trees:
    f7.jpg
    Plus Distance Trees:
    f8.jpg
    Polish:
    f9.jpg

Lastly a Video:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_C--ufuOHo]Cryengine 3 Simple Foliage map - YouTube[/ame]

I challenged myself not to use photosourced texture and use Mapzone/3ds max/zbrush to create the textures and the models. I used mapzone to generate random height and basic diffuse map then imported it to zbrush to sculpt the big forms then hand paint some details in photoshop.

I'll be creating 2 more trees and 4 wild flowers and boids to add more flavor.

Crits are welcome, thanks.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    The tall grass like shrubs seem to be a bit uniform. Can you give them more random scale and rotation in the editor?
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hostilis polycounter lvl 13
    @xendance

Thanks for the crit. Tell me if I need to add more size variation.

I tweak the Size and Size Var parameters of every vegetation and created LOD for each.

u1.jpg
    u2.jpg
    u3.jpg

manage to save up 4-5 fps (19 fps -> 24 fps)
    49k instances average of 800k poly in the screen.

Thanks.
  • bgivenb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    your lighting needs work. Look at real grass: it doesn't have such dark shadows. Also, I would suggest a lighter color for the ground under the grass, its WAY too dark. Otherwise, good progress
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hostilis polycounter lvl 13
    @bgivenb

thanks for the crit made me realize to properly observe references.

I tweaked the TOD and environment probe a bit plus I ticked off the Cast Shadow parameters to the small plants and grasses.

Here's a comparison:

ON:
    on.jpg
    OFF:
    off.jpg

I might create another version of the map while keeping performance and composition in mind because let's face it my mapping is boring so I would also love crits/tips about level design/mapping (as I'm a noob in that area). Thanks.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    It is indeed a very very simple foliage scene. I think some of it is reading quite well though, and you've done a good job on some of those vegetation pieces. I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't have chosen a more artful concept, though. For that, it probably won't impress many polycounters.
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    as a geocacher I hike through stuff like this all the time and this strikes me as pretty realistic. Like different then the normal idea of realistic game art like it has a really realistic feel too it. Not over the top. good work