Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Type 97A Rifle

Hi guys! I've been working on this gun model for a while now and I was wondering if I could get some constructive criticism. Its a gun that I've always wanted to model. I like where it is right now But I think It could be pushed a bit further.

Here is what I have so far:
Low Poly Wire
wire01.jpg

High Poly

highpoly.jpg

What I have now
4Y7lq.jpg

Sitting at 8,466 tris right now.

Replies

• Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    You have a solid bake, good work!

You should focus on getting more varied material definition. Right now, it all looks like soft touch plastic.

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • interrogator_chaplain
    I'm not sure if your reference shows it that way, but the clip might need to be a bit more rounded. It looks like a bent straight clip instead of a rounded clip.
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the reference images I used it seems to be bent that way, Though I guess the front of the magazine could be a bit more rounded.

Here's and update on the texture. I took out most of the noise out of the defuse and just worked on the spec which I think fixed the problem of it looking like soft touch plastic.
    updateh.jpg
    What do you guys think?
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the body of the gun still looks too untouched to me, if it has seen battle there would be a lot more wear to it. Try and think of how the weapon is handled and reloaded.

Soldiers jumping up of vaulting over objects and even ducking for cover would have them crashing into things including their weapons.

My 2 cents :)
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with you guys that I need to add more wear and damage to the gun, right now it looks too plain. But I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how I should paint the damage on the plastic/ polymer bits. I don't want to go overboard and make it look unrealistic. And polymer seems like a much tougher material then metal so it wont have that white shiny under coat. I've looked at all the references I could find for damage on polymer, but i just couldn't find any good ones.
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update.What do you guys think?
    4Y7lq.jpg
    Grabbed a picture with the Xoliul shader before it crapped out on me.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looks good man, the specular work is showing good. RIght now its kinda monotone though, any change you could make this more personal? Like add some stickers or some stuff engraved on the gun just to set it apart?