Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pipe Organ WIP

Hello. My name is Matthew Smith and I am a game design student. I just started doing stuff outside of my school curriculum. I have "finsihed" with the modeling section of a pipe organ concept I found on deviant art. The artist is

http://youngkid.deviantart.com/

The concept I followed is:

VgQWb.jpg

and here is what I came up with:

1U0Cq.jpg

0dpvF.jpg

aFkMr.jpg

24ILr.jpg

kirXC.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You probably wanna give the keys some space below so can it be pressed down,if you know what i mean :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    That is pretty frickin sweet. I really like the concept as well as the execution of the drawing. Great job man :) As for input, I would pull the stops or the rods coming out of the front facing panel above the keys out a little more to give them definition. It would help with giving the piece character. I feel that the piano itself is awesome, but the piping at the top obviously draws the eye with its unique shapes, interesting pathing, and just being a maze of oversized, overbearing, complete overkill piece of machinery lol. But because the piping has so much character you almost want to balance out the whole piece and try to make the flow of the style and character throughout, I feel the piano base doesnt hold the same amount of character, it almost feels lacking. Just my opinion, and I feel with some small tweaks (pulling out, elongating, and enlargening) to the stops or pull lever things above the keys would really add to the piece as a whole in a very positive way :) Dont get me wrong, this piece is absolutely fantastic so far, and with some mapping, texturing, and a nice render setup with correct lighting and interesting camera angles, could really be a nice little portfolio piece as a prop!
  • xraysuede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I posted this in the tech talk forum but haven't received a reply so I figured I would move it over here to try again.

I am working on the pipe organ and I baked out an AO using xnormal. I am having an issue where I'm losing my smoothing groups from 3ds max when I export it as an obj using guruware obj exporter plugin. I have also tried xNormal SBM with the same results.

I have been detaching parts of the object and reattaching in 3ds max while making this object so I did lose my smoothing groups from that but I read that if I just do an edit poly on the object, it will allow me to see my smoothing groups again which does works. I can also pick faces using smoothing groups in 3ds max.

Now the strange thing is that when I use the textool function to split UV by smoothing groups, it says it cannot find any smoothing groups even though I can see them on the model.

The result of all this is the objects that should be smooth ends up with a faceted AO. The example below is basicly a cylindrical pipe that is one smoothing group.

YBmLs.jpg

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Why don't you try to bake the AO directly in Max instead of xnormal.