Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3 Week 'Normal Map' learning experience. Need your guys help.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rock - Why? I like to know the nuts and bolts rather than just take someone's word for it. :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am also interested on this. Why does it matter which way the triangles are?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Rock - Why? I like to know the nuts and bolts rather than just take someone's word for it. :)

Be careful with that though because in my testing from above on a 24 cylinder the small triangles on the edges caused some issues with soft normals. My 24 sided cylinder with softened normals got these shading artifacts along the sides of the cylinder. However if you make the caps of the cylinder hard and the body soft, this issue goes away. I am guessing a cylinder with less sides wont have this issue, but I didn't check.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    lefix wrote: »
    not really normal map related, but you might want to get used to tri stripping ;)
    just a minor performance optimization thing

trianglestrip.jpg
    Actually that's not the best way to triangulate a cap. The best way is to do what re-triangulation algorithms do (3ds Max does it perfectly at least) and make the triangles take up the maximum area possible.

Basically like this:
    4rJTF.png

Here's a great article on it:
    http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=News&ID=228
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    I wish I would have seen this from the start but I haven't been on here for months really. This my weakest area right now. I can model pretty good HP stuff, but the LP matching up and normal baking always gets me. I can't seem to get it. My normal bakes in Max always suck too. I should just do this same thing on my spare time. I am currently working on a z-brush character for school so I will have to be normal baking anyhow, but this is good stuff to learn for me soon. Good project!