Home Unreal Engine

Spawning Pawn / Bot and Forcing it into Turret

Hello there,

I have been tasked with making a single player esque level in UED for a University assignment and I have a turret that I'm trying to force a bot to control as a player runs over a trigger.

I've tried using Assign Controller in Kismet, and I've also tried just spawning a bot and having it run to a path node near the turrets position, as well as just teleporting it directly onto the turrets position, but theres nothing that seems to work.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Does the bot know how to use turrets?
    As in: Is there an AI routine in the bot controller that tells the bot that it can use the turret object, and also when it should, and how?
  • Captain Salty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I would assume so, as these are not custom bots that I am using. I am simply using the bots that come with Unreal. This may be in the wrong part of the forum then, but I am using UED, not UDK.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok. Well then turrets from UT3 and UT2k4 are a type of vehicle. So you'll need to tell the bot to board the vehicle it is closest to. Its been a while, so I don't remember the actual script command there, but look through UT_Bot.uc to and or the script for the turret and its parents to see about a function setting the bot to want to drive a vehicle, or forcing it to board the nearest one. Then you'll be on the right path.
  • Captain Salty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would I go about doing that exactly? Looking at the script of UT_Bot, I mean.

Sorry, new to this part of Unreal, never touched script before.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooh gotcha. :) for ut3 you'll want to export the scripts.. just search that on google. "UT3 Export scripts" and you'll find the tutorials you need.
  • Captain Salty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, that helped! :)

I've gone through UT_Bot, UTPawn and UTVehicle_TrackTurretBase (closest thing I could find to something resembling script for the turret vehicle), and well, quite frankly I don't know what I'm looking for, and even if I'd of found something I wouldn't of known what to do with it.

Further guidance is appreciated!