Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ruggedy Futuristic Handgun

Hi guys, this is the first prop I finished. Geometry on Low poly is messed up. Some residual vertexes stuck around doing nothing but giving me a headacke, so I dont thing I am going to chanage much there. But if you have any suggestions, I can worki them into textures. So what do you think?

00120120331.jpg

00120120331.jpg

Replies

• Dragonwalker
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were you I'd go back and fix up the messed up low-poly. It doesn't look too bad, but theres a lot of stuff you can optimize.

After you fix your topology and re-bake, you should look up some texturing tutorials(http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials)

Right now your gun looks like a gun, but the textures are cloudy and washed out and theres really no contrast or material definition that reads right off the bat.

But you should definitely go back and fix your errors first. Admitting you have errors and then just moving on seems like a cop-out. I don't know what this is for, but if you have the time and you want to better yourself you should strive to do the best work you can with every asset :)
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Baking an ambient occlusion map and applying that to your diffuse and spec will be very usefull.

Also with metals, in general, your diffuse should be fairly basic and low contrast. Your spec and gloss will define your material more, and those should have your details in them.

Just because you CAN put texture on something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Look around you, most things are actually very clean. Even used weapons can be.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Watch out for the cloudiness in your textures, try and study a metal texture more closely and replicate it using photoshop with going over the top.

Design wise, it looks very old fashioned, there are no elements that make you think it's futuristic, and using wooden furniture is very old fashioned, and are not practical in a modern gun due to wood being very heavy etc
  • Dragonwalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the valuable feedback, guys. I am more of a 2d guy, but I am trying to widen my horizon. It goeas rather slowly and painfully. I ll try to fix it up.
    mr_ace wrote: »
    Design wise, it looks very old fashioned, there are no elements that make you think it's futuristic, and using wooden furniture is very old fashioned, and are not practical in a modern gun due to wood being very heavy etc

I was trying to make it look "classy" I guess it mislead me a bit. (x