Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some help

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Samuraigun7 polycounter lvl 7
Hi there I have recently finish a 3D Animation course and after finish it I have tried applied to 3D companies for Animation and even games but since i live in New Zealand it is very small but i been on polycount for a while but i am thinking of doing another 2 years of study into game devlopment in game art. I just want to know how i am so far and what i can do to improve I work with maya and i have zbrush as well and I know my way around photoshop but I have downloaded UDK but never really done anything with it yet. I see alot of people using it on her for their art and enviroments. I just want to learn more about making game asset and modeling the high poly in maya or zbrush and then learning how to make the maps I have followed tutorials but i always seem to do something wrong and it doesnt work i usally use xNormals for my normal maps and OC. I just really want to improve as a artist and learn more so please if you have any suggestion on what i should do please tell me I want to build up my portfolio and just need to learn more about game art. Thank you

http://samuraigunkid.carbonmade.com/
Here is my portfolio I cant get my own domain or website yet as i dont have any money for that.

https://vimeo.com/36879259
Here my Reel as well

Please if you could help or point me int he right direction i am really want to improve.

Replies

• AmbiguousPackage
    I am going to touch on your portfolio and what stands out to me. The biggest problem I see right now is lack of direction on what you want to do in the industry. Just going to your site all I see is 3D Artist I really don't know what kind of 3d Artist. If your focus is animation I would expect to see your name at the top of the site and under that Animator, or Environment Artist, etc etc. Also I don't see any area to download a resume, which I would suggest a pdf and word version.

Also the worst thing on a portfolio is always going to stand out. In your case its the work that has no textures. These just look unfinished and you should just cut them. Quality of work always puts a better foot forward than quantity of work. A few really well done polished pieces will go further than a bunch of work that's in between.

Now touching back on your first page that loads on your portfolio. When you first get to your site all I see is a title that says 3d artist but I don't know who this artist is. I do like how you have a little banner for work, however I would suggest putting some kind of graphic or showcase piece of work above that.

Hope that helps and good luck on your future work.
  • Samuraigun7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samuraigun7 polycounter lvl 7
    Okay thanks you for that I will look into that and change it