Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Computer Game art model

about a year ago i made a high poly computer for rendering ... and recently i decided to make that model in to a low poly game asset!

and here it is computergameart.jpg

i am pretty happy with the result :D as it is only my second real game model with a normal map! ... please crit :P

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it have a spec map? :)
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    good start! I like it :)

here are some crits, i don't mean to be rude at all i am just being thorough:

1. the noise you've applied to the surfaces on the normal map isn't fine enough, makes it seem low res and blurry.

2. some images you've used for the texture are really blurry like the fan on the side of the case- it also doesn't have a rim or join to the other surface, it literally looks like a sticker that's been slapped on.

3. i know you're new to modelling so this is a difficult one but you're going to want to shy away from using the colour map to generate the normal map, just go in and model it- do some cutting and extruding :)

4. looking at the wireframe overlay on your uvs, it seems to be needlessly high poly. can you post a wireframe shot?

Good work though considering its one of your first- you're way ahead of most newstarters :)
  • ToRoDK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some wires and a little spec :P

computerwire.jpg
    speco.jpg

Chimp i dont understand your 3. crit ... my normal map is made out of my high poly model and then tweekt in photoshop! ... to the second crit ... the textures i used are 1024 and 1024 (i know it probably should be 512 but this is portfolio work!) but how should a make them less blurry? should i 'sharpen' them i photoshop or is there some secret way in udk? (and obviously i am a noob to UDK :P)

to the first how ... how do i make my normals seem less blurry?

and by the way i used to make high poly renders for about 2 years (in school), but then i found out, that what i really wanted was to do make games (and/or game art) as i LOVE games! So i understand the modeling and all that, it is just practice and stealing all of your guys knowledge from here on :P