Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dock House (Hand-Painted)

Moosebish
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
I'm a recent college grad! Which means I have my evenings open every night to improve my 3D art skills!

I'm not very good at keeping up with my threads, but I'm determined to update this one often, I promise!

For my first project outside of school, I've decided to do a hand-painted scene since I love hand painted textures, but don't have any in my portfolio.

Someone here on the forums mentioned www.conceptroot.com . A few hours of cruising later, I found this awesome concept by Artyom Vlaskin and thought it would be a really fun concept to use for a scene. Here's his CG Portfolio if you want to see more of his stuff: http://artyomvlaskin.cgsociety.org/gallery/928331/

Here's the original concept:

TzkWG.jpg

And after some practice of staying between the lines, here's the color scheme I'm gonna roll with:

GQ4XQ.jpg

I'll probably start busting out some parts of the building tonight and I'll do my best to keep this thread up to date.

Here's to no more homework! :poly108:

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome concept man. This will turn out great.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Do it justice man, because it definitely does look awesome!

Edit: you could probably hang some sheets/cloth out of the windows to get some more color into this thing. I dig the color scheme but I feel it could use one more color.
  • deutschbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deutschbag polycounter lvl 6
    This looks like way too much fun to make! Go and rock it :)
  • walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey

Im not sure if you are planning to do this, but will it would definitely be worth doing 3 distinct styles and moods of the building. People in industry look to people with creativity, especially when it comes to giving something a distinct feel or mood. Being constrained to just the colours is also very impressive if you can do it. try it.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on where its at. I'm just chunking out the scene for now and still have have more to do. But I want to solidify the silhouette of the scene before I go in and do any real modeling.

JSd9t.jpg
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @walklikethis -
    That would definitely be cool. We'll see how long it takes me just to do one. But I've thought a lot about how I'm going to do the textures and since there is a lot of wood. I might mess around with a lot of tinting in UDK. If I do that, then it wouldn't be hard at all to change all the colors with sliders.. I don't know, we'll see :P
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I love this concept, have it saved in my inspiration folder and always wanted to build it someday. Good luck! I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how it turns out.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    +1 Jeremiah saying to add an accent color. Use something saturated. But just a pop of it here and there. don't go overboard with it.

Concept is kickass. Looking forward to seeing it in 3d done right.

So far your basics are looking good. I'd block this in asap and start moving things around though. Spend time just getting a solid silhouette on things. Not sure if I'd stay 1:1 with the concept. But close would be awesome.