Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular sci-fi assets

Hi, I'm Overlord. I'm a former lurker finally getting the guts to speak up to ask for art advice.

I'm looking for comments and guidance on a set of modular interior environment pieces I've started on. This is a personal project for learning and potentially for a portfolio piece. I want it to feel like it would fit into the Mass Effect universe. I need a critique on my first piece before I get in too deep and find I went entirely in the wrong direction. In all, I'd like to complete two different wall panels, a tileable floor, inside/outside corners, ceiling, trim, and window/door frames. Also, where can I find good reference for sci-fi interiors? Mass Effect examples would be ideal.

This is the high poly version I want to bake, but I'd like some opinions before I go further. Is it good? If not, how can I make it better?

wallpanelmetalrender.png

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Hey there Overlord! Glad to see you've decided to make your first post. As a basic exercise, I think what you are doing is a really good place to start out. However, if you are planning on making multiple modular pieces, such as a floor other hallway bits, I would Highly suggest blocking out the hallway first and making sure you like how all your designs fit together. This way, you don't get too far along on the wall and decide it doesn't fit with anything else.

So far, this lone asset looks good in that it will read well in a bake. I'm thinking that design wise, you are going to need something to break up the repetition of the tiling panels, so doorways, arches, sci-fi pillar things, etc. will probably be needed.

I'm sure there are plenty of other threads here you can gather inspiration from that have used Mass Effect as a reference, and definitely check out Snefer's work, especially if you are going to bring this into UDK.