Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Attempt with Modular Environments (Blender +Unity_

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
threesidedpolygon polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys,

So to try and force myself to practice and learn texturing/environment design, I am starting this thread.

About a year ago I made a map in Halo:Reach's forge world:

Arsenal_Layout.jpg
Arsenal4.jpg
Arsenal3.jpg

I thought this would be a good place to try and learn modular environment design, as Halo's forge is already based around modular map making. However, there are limits to what can be done, and is obviously a poor man's mod tool.

Anyways, I have mapped out the floorplan and separated the levels of the environment so that I can now discern which parts should be split into modular components.

ARSENAL_Floorplan.png

My next goal is to now model said parts and figure out how to import them into Unity. Unfortunately, due to lack of funds/access/ I'm on a mac (dumb I know), everything I'm doing will be through Blender and Unity as they are free to use.

I'll continue to update this thread as I make more progress today and throughout the week. Wish me luck! Any good resources on modular map making would also be appreciated

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are plenty of resources for modular environment creation on the polycount wiki here.

One piece of advice...make sure you get your scale and measurements for your modular pieces planned out ahead of time. I would make super simple blockouts for the modular pieces you want, and play around with them in unity to make sure they all fit nicely before you start making stuff.
  • threesidedpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a day of work, I'm fairly pleased with what I've managed to accomplish.

-Got almost all the pieces I need made or at least blocked out
    -Unwrapped almost all of them so that I can start to texture later
    -About 90% finished laying out the space.

arsenal_screen_wip_01.png

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I've decided to lay out all the pieces in Blender, and then import the whole scene into Unity. It seems to be working out for me thus far, however I don't know how the import is going to go. The pieces did translate properly during my tests yesterday, but we shall see.

Got about another hour or 2 to finish up the layout (probably slower than most people), and then some troubleshooting on some of the meshes (side lifts area, roof/windows near the 45degree walls)

Any crits and comments would be helpful, If I should show more individual pieces, let me know
  • threesidedpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to bump unnecessarily, but I managed to finish up some of the missing pieces I needed, so I think I just need railings and all the modular elements will be finished in terms of modelling. Next I guess I should start running through them and texturing them as need be.

Also, I brought it into unity, and it looks like it's to proper scale, although I can't be certain. Would it make the most sense to do the majority of the work in Blender before trying to get it into an engine? Again, I am quite new at this, so bear with me.

Sorry this is the only shot I have right now, but I'm happy it's matching up quite well with the original layout:

arsenal_screen_wip_02.png

As always, comments and crits are welcome and desired. I'm here to grow :) If what I'm posting is totally useless, let me know and I will show more detailed shots/individual elements.