Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Am I heading into the right direction? [folio]

Hello, Polycounters!!!!

I have been slowly building a portfolio(environment artist) and I just want to check where I am at right now. I feel like I need a complete scene and replace my old one(scifi scene) that is currently presented in my folio.

Take a look and let me know what you like or dislike and what I need to do to improve.

Thank you.

www.paik3d.carbonmade.com

Replies

• jmg06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmg06 polycounter lvl 5
    You might want to think about investing a little bit in your own domain name. For the rest the site looks good.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looking over you work I feel like you need to improve on both a technical and artistic level. The current stuff you have isn't that imaginative or awesomely executed with technical skill in modeling or texturing nor does it show a great understanding of lighting or planning.
    I like your props overall, the show enough detail but most of them are just props without any context.

Remember: Props are much more impressive when put into context, even if they're simple.

I say:

1. Go into http://www.conceptroot.com/ and find inspiration and reference for you next scene.
    2. Start to plan your scene, decide on what's important: The whole picture or a close quarters scene with lots of detail. (Best worlds is if you can fit both)
    3. Plan your textures, write down a list and get down the initial textures you would need for the basic overview of the level. (wooden beams, concrete, metal etc)
    3.5 Decide your texture workflow, is it really worth it to Zbrush or have unique textures for smalll props? Is it worth going through all the high-low poly baking? Will you see all that detail?
    4. Go modular, tilable textures and modular parts that you can put together in your 3d-modeling software.
    5. Create the shaders you need to set everything up.
    6. Greybox your environment and some bigger props and add your basic tilable textures to them so that you feel like you're getting somewhere.
    7. Post to polycount and get feedback as soon as possible.

I hope I helped ^^ Good luck!
  • chazzur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats awesome feedback Chris. I had never seen that site before but after checking it out there are some fantastic pieces. Cant wait for some free time to grab a project from there.
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    yeah thanks for the link chris!
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmg06 // I am using Carbonmade at the moment. But I will have my own web site desgined layer on and I will make sure the domian name will be fresh and unique. Thanks.

chrisradsby // Thank you for spending your valuable time on analyzing my folio and giving me a step by step guide line on how to improve my work. This helps a lot and gave me a strong motivation to come up with a complete scene. Thanks again!!!

chazzur and tyddynroger// Yeah.. That concept art site is really nice and has some awesome pieces for inspiration. Do you guys happen to know any other sites that are similar to the one Chris showed us?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    That biocell is pretty well done, I seriously think you need a new environment piece like everyone is saying.

Another Website you should check out
    http://fuckyeahconceptart.tumblr.com/
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    @chrisradsby and jungsik

Thanks for those links! Very awesome!
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    @wasabi Carbonmade has very simple and to the point way of presenting your work which will do good for now till your get your own domain/site up and running. You introduce yourself to a potential employer and if they remember your name, then that's access to your site right there. Love the prop though, where was it rendered? Max? Marmoset?

@BertR lol that's an interesting way naming the site you mentioned. To the point!

Not to hijack this thread, but I find Chris outline very informative. I wish I was taught to think that way when I took my modeling certificate. I am going to re-visit all my assets (yeah I know my environment one is really in need of re-work).
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jungsik// I agree with you. I need a new environment piece and thanks for the link!

@tekmatic// I usually render my props in UDK and Max with Xoliul Shader.. would try CryEngine and Marmoset near future..