Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animation Reel _ 2012

SuperSoupy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
SuperSoupy polycounter lvl 5
Hi Polycount people!

I've just joined up and thought I'd share a reel of my portfolio with you. It was put together recently, and all crit and feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

http://www.davesanimation.com/

Hope you enjoy! More images-of-the-moving-variety to follow in the future.

(NOTE: If the video doesn't load, just F5 to refresh and it should pop back up.)

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Hey man, welcome to the forums!

You have to great pieces in here! But also, some not very great pieces. Your reel is way too long. Cut it down by about half, and ditch all the drawings at the end. It's an animation reel. You should ONLY have animation on it.

The first few pieces with the helicopters and the monsters in the distance, you should put some sort of breakdown in to let people know what you did for it. It doesnt have to be on the reel itself, it can be under the reel on your site.

Ditch the minotaur.

The guy that runs and jumps and swings, when he lands on the second pole, I don't get what's happening. It looks like he goes backwards or something. The camera angle needs work, i think.

ditch the cat

ditch the zombie girl after the cat. she crawls way to fast, and you have stronger cycles in your reel already.

ditch the second lip sync

That should leave you with about a minute of reel, which is what you want it to be. Only your strongest stuff, showing the best stuff first.

Like I said, you have some good work in your reel. It just needs to be ONLY your good work, and not so long.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Agree.
    And as personal opinion: put some music on it. Your animations are realy good but it gets boring without any sound.
    And on "about": the boxes with softwares and games apear over the text in my browser.
  • SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys it's much appreciated. Yeah, there were some bits I couldn't quite see myself, it's great to have this extra input. I'll make some changes and re-post.

Fabio - what browser are you using to get this issue? If you let me know I can take a look and sort it.

Thanks again! Any other thoughts from everyone out there, again is much appreciated.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    im using firefox and it does the same thing
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i really enjoyed that lip sync from Men in Tights. Great work overall but ditch the drawings at the end.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Biped Spiderman and cat is Really Great .. and Ended Nicely By Sketches ,,
  • SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info guys. After taking a bunch of crit on board, I've updated the reel again for your input. Hope you like it!

http://www.davesanimation.com/

Main changes this time are:
    - added a soundtrack
    - removed sketches
    - made some cuts and trims on certain anims, some removed.
    - new camera angle on 'spiderman run'
    - updated 'about' section so boxes don't cross through text.

Thanks again guys. If there are any other thoughts you have, feel free to let me know. I also plan to add a 'works in progress' section in the near future. This way I can share my most recent work with you, as well as animation workflow process.