Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Underwater Scenes

This is a piece that i did a long while back, that I'm looking to fix now that I'm better. I'm proud of my lighting, but I will admit the rest is a just a steaming pile of poo. I did it in maya, and rendered with mental ray. Critiques and advice on what to do to make this 10000000 times better would be so so helpful, because i think its got potential, it just needs work.

This is supposed to be an underwater thrown room, destroyed my currents and years of being underwater, (There was a throne, similar to the sword throne from "Game of Thrones" but I took it out a few weeks ago when i attempted to rework the peice.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76578060@N02/6876033838/in/photostream

(I can't figure out how to get the image to show up on the post!! This may be my first post but I am so blond!)

Replies

• deutschbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deutschbag polycounter lvl 6
    I feel like running this in a realtime solution such as UDK or CryEngine3 would help this drastically, as it looks like a game environment.

And you're right, it certainly has potential!
  • MBThompson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd thought about putting it into UDK. I've got it, i just havn't used it, although I hear tell from my friends that went to GDC that many employers want to see things in Unity (which i have as well). And i've never heard of CryEngine3, I'll have to check it out, Thanks!!
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Some tips for underwater scenes:

Blur, Particles and lighting falloff are the things that give that sense of depth and location when underwater, and vary VASTLY depending on depth and time of day, as well as the quality of water, current and the surface (wavy or just rolling swell or choppy etc). Use these things to locate the scene.
    Right now I don't know what time it's set, how deep it is, or where I am (tropical bay, or mediteranian sea, or something).

Colour falloff is linked to the above, the way reds and greens disappear, as well as the 'haze' of scattering near the surface helps give some pop to the scene.

Materials need some work, especially blending. Sand is easily picked up by current and will settle in crevices in rock. It also doesn't usually transition straight and cleanly to something, it can build up around the edges, and is affected when it's in the wake of an object in the current.