Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tile Set Racing Environment

Hi there, I'm looking for help and advise on my project that I'm working at University.

My project is looking into older titles from the 90s and recreating them using UDK for iOS. I wanted to look at taking one of the old racing games, being Rock n Roll racing on the snes, and break it down into tileable objects to redesign the levels and stages in a speedy process.

Ontop of this, the assets are to be optimized to maximize the fps on the ipod touch i plan to be using to test this out.

I initally wanted to get the tile sets working first, by creating the straight and the corner segment, in which then a track can be compiled using the grid system within the engine.

Everything appeared to be going ok with the layout, as I thought i'd done my titles the correct size, given it was working on smaller tracks, so I upped the size for another test, to find that it was out by quite alot!

Regardless, a few shots of the project to follow.

Im looking for advice on making the thing actually work first, rathar than the appearance which i'll be working on. Any feedback is going to be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Based upon:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8RJHR1p2avCTC9mNK1NM-THTbKW4bW7DNVFdjHMJbd-x-vvBkF7UbkQuFoQ

minitrack.png

track2.png

wire.png

Replies

• jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rock and Roll Racing, hell yeah! Tiling looks ok so far.
  • dbailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Began to expand a bit with the track, made some new segmants to create a better track layout. Need to start working on some of the texture maps now to bring them up to a good standard and fill out the surrounding areas.

gettingthere.png
  • dbailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on this a bit, kinda wanted to make it more gloomy so went with a wet look, added rain and some atmosphere. Looking for some advice and pointers to get this looking better if anyone can help me out. Be greatly appreciated.

highresscreenshot00003k.jpg

highresscreenshot00002.jpg
  • StuButler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuButler polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking better, as you've mentioned the textures need a bit of work, wouldn't hurt to add in some elements to the environment which sell the feel a bit more, the fog isn't doing it for me at the moment.

Stu
  • dbailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fog just completly breaks everything when i move to 09-11 build for testing anyway, as does the rain and wet look! Tried mobile specular also, but that just couldn't acheive the look I wanted. Need to mess around more it seems.

Was gonna add some environment elements that interact with the track, such as a basher from the top, and a swing axe type machine from the sides, just to add more danger to the environment.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Have you ever played Lego Stunt Rally or Trackmania? Could be fun to try and build a game like that in UDK with tilesets like the above.
    164601-lego-stunt-rally-windows-screenshot-these-amazing-tires-help.jpg
    Basically it uses tiles like you've made but includes an editor which allows players to build their own tracks using them. Inspirational!
  • dbailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I kinda did stuff like that on my research, looking into old tile games and breaking them into a 20x20 grid for example.

If I did that, giving people a grid, and track segements (Lets say 1x1 = 1), they could created there own tracks easily by dragging and dropping the desired peices onto the grid, for the engine to then compile.