Home Unreal Engine

UDK Landscape _can't walk or drive on it? What's wrong?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
I've made several landscapes now for my portfolio, but I cannot run around on them, or drive vehicles. When I hit play, the character falls down, gets stuck, and then spawns somewhere else on the map only to be stuck again. He doesn't die, he's just stuck and respawns once to be stuck again. Any ideas what's going on here? My demo reel is mostly finished, but I want to showcase a vehicle I rigged and have it driving around one of the levels, but I can't make it happen, and it's due on March 28th. I prepared a backup demo reel in case I don't figure it out in time, but i'd really like to get it in there.

Replies

• DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    i believe the landscape has to be above origin. try that out and let me know how that goes.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    If you haven't change the game type, the player controller will get stuck. Earlier versions of UDk defaulted to UTDeathmatch, where the player controller would die.

In either case, this is due to something called "KillZ", which establishes, based upon the entire world, where to "kill" a player. This is for the purpose of killing the player if they've run off the map (or fallen), so as not to fall forever.

Turning this off is under World Properties > Zone Info > KillZ. Put it to a low negative value like -5000. It's set to 0 by default if I recall, and I bet the places you've lowered on your landscape are where you're dying at.
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you so much guys. I raised everything above the origin, and all was fixed. I was wrestling with that for so long. Thanks again!