Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First use of Zbrush.

Hi Guys,

This is my first attempt at using Zbrush and also first attempt with a tablet.

Any suggestions and Critisicm welcomend. As you can she doesnt look totally right. I've tried adding in some muscle definition to make her look more realistic, but she just looks splodgy.

I dont understand how eveyone elses models are sooooo smooth. Ever time i try to smooth it just takes all my work out. Or do i need to be at a higher level of SubD?

sculpt.png

sculptside.png

Thanks for any help in advanced. I will try to keep this up, there is some amazing work out there. I dont get much time to do 3d but its somthing that i have always wanted to do.

Thanks again.

Craig

Replies

• Craig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ps i know the boobs look wrong, so does the ass. Seem to be having trouble with both. bit guttening really to say there my fav parts lol.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    you can change the intensity of the smooth brush at the top,

you really shouldnt go to a higher sub-d when your at the point which your mesh is at the moment
  • Craig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you think go right back to my Zsphere base mesh. I know how to turn the smooth tool down, but i dont get the clean smooth look like you see on finished models.

Is that due to the model not having enough polys? <- im not going to continue with this mesh dont worry. was more of a why is it like that sorta thing.

At what points do you start going up in subd? dont suppose you have a link to someones workflow that shows this?

Thanks,

Craig
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    tip: you want to take away more than add- otherwise you'll get bulgy vague shapes.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's generally harder to smooth at high subD's. I don't think that is your issue. It just takes a subtle touch and working and re-working an area to get it super smooth. Here are a few other tips:

- Don't use the standard brush for volume building. Try one of the clay brushes. This should help some of the lumpiness.

- If the smooth brush isn't working out for you try the "Polish" or "Smooth Stronger" brush. They do exactly what the name suggests. These have a bit of flattening in them so they will wreck your details if you are not careful.

- I would also change your material to something other than the red wax. It has some modifiers that make shapes look more voluminous than they really are. Try just a plain gray material and it may look less lumpy.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Craig wrote: »
    This is my first attempt at using Zbrush and also first attempt with a tablet.
    Craig

great! now do several hundred more. Repetition and study is key:). You're not going to get it right the first time.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Not going to bother criting the model but a few general sculpting tips:

- work at the lowest sub level as possible
    - focus on using the move tool, claytubes, and clay brush to shape (avoid using standard brush)
    - use lots of reference!