Home Unreal Engine

Landscape lightmap looks and behaves horrible

Hi, I have a large Landscape in my UDK map. After building lighting (medium, high or production, same result) I get a really blotchy shadows on my landscape from static meshes. The landscape self shadowing looks gorgeous.

Even worse, when I move up to the shadow throwing objects, shadows on the landscape pop, sometimes disappearing completely, looking even more crap. It's as if there is some LOD-stuff going on.

Getting fucking tired of UDK and its problems at the moment. The Landscape systems seems far from production ready. Had gigantic problems with mesh import earlier today, I'm seriously considering CryEngine instead.

Pointers and ideas greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Sooo what is the lightmap resolution?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurrm would be great to know what problems you where having. Before writing the landscape mode off and jumping to another engine with its own problems you might want to take a look at whats causing your problems.
  • deutschbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deutschbag polycounter lvl 6
    Make sure that in the landscape's properties under the lighting tab that the "static lighting resolution" is bumped up to something like 10-12. This will un-blotch your shadows.

As for the shadow popping, in your dominant dir. light properties (i'm assuming you're using that) go to light component -> cascaded shadow maps -> whole scene dynamic shadow radius. Bump up that value to an appropriate distance. This should get rid of the popping.

Had the exact same problems a while ago, and man where they a headache.