Home Technical Talk

Baking Errors When Using the Cage and Material ID Separation

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
So I've been trying to get this thing to bake since last night. No matter what I seem to do it gives me flat errors on almost half the model every bake.

At this point I don't know what could be wrong
-I've built and rebuilt the cage multiple times, and it always appears to be completely covering the high at all points

-I've checked and double checked the material IDs each pieces has a unique ID compared to those touching it and the high poly has corresponding IDs (I'm using Material IDs to separate close pieces rather than exploding, as per the 3Dmotive tutorial on Normal making)

What's the strangest thing it was originally ignoring those pieces completely but now it renders tiny areas of them and then the rest is an error.

There's nothing in the cage to suggest this amount of widespread error, at least not that I can see.

EDIT * I should probably add that there's definitely nothing inverted or overlapped in the 1,1 UV space either* EDIT

This particular bake is using Mental ray, but I've had near identical results using the default renderer as well

Shots with the cage on, shown with shaded turned on

Cage_2.jpg

Cage_1.jpg

Shots of the high and low poly without cage

No_Cage_2.jpg

No_Cage_1.jpg

What gets rendered out, the error log (for lack of a better term)

Error_Log.jpg

And the resulting Normal map

Normal_Error.jpg

Help would be very appreciated, sooner rather than later as my deadline to have this thing baked is fast approaching... I probably should have posted this sooner but I figured it was something I could figure out myself, but that's looking like it's not the case.

I can post a Dropbox download of the max file if you, like me can't find the problem in these screenshots.

Replies

• Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I've had similar problems where the color of the material ID matched, but the number was different. after you go over the max material IDs it starts to cycle back from the beginning, but only with their colors. recheck your material ID numbers (Not the colors).

If this wasn't the issue, post the max file.
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is your low poly a completely solid mesh? if not, it could have the cage intersecting each other. if that's the problem try separate the mesh so there isnt cage overlapping
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Computron, I thought that was the issue too and I actually checked and fixed them before posting here, but it still was doing that.

Unstoppablex the material ID separation eliminates cage overlap much the same way exploding the mesh does

The good news is I got it to work, the bad news is I have no idea why it worked that time and not before as I don't think I actually changed anything. But at this point I'm not going to question it.

Freeze_Gun_NRM.jpg

Still some errors for sure, but nothing I can't clean up.

For those interested I'm posting progress on this thing in this thread here

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96117