Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Eric Topf, Environment/Prop Artist

Greetings Polycount,

I've been lurking on the forums for what seems like forever now, but I've finally got the nerve to actually post. Anyway, my name is Eric Topf and I fancy myself an Environment/Prop Artist, though I consider myself highly adaptable (yet well aware that "specialization" is key).

So, I want to get back into doing more personal projects for myself, and what I've been doing at work is not going to be something I can use in a portfolio (unless I attach a massive technical document on how it all works, violating who knows how many NDA's :poly131:). So without further ado, my website:

http://www.erictopf.com/

Now for more ado.

It's been a while since I've managed to compile feedback on my personal work, and it's run the gamut from "Awesome!" to "Talentless hack!" And I wanted to get another wave of feedback before I dive back into creating new things (or perhaps salvaging current work with new polish if possible).

The demo reel is pretty out of date too. I made it in After Effects a long time ago. Not sure if anyone recommends a better way of making demo reels now (my gut was telling me to create a scene in UDK and just render a cinematic, though that might take too much time and be too "pie in the sky").

And then the website itself. I'm sure there are a lot of things wrong with it, but I'll still hear thoughts on what can be done. My Dreamweaver skills are pretty novice, but I'd like to think I can enhance things somehow.

Thank you in advance for your feedback. I'll definitely respond to any and all criticisms......Politely I promise :)

Replies

• ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    You should recheck the link you add and extra "http".
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I was immediately turned off by how small and confined everything is. Make the site itself larger rather than confined to this little box. It makes it feel cramped, and out of the 90's.

If you are an environment/prop artist, then slap me in the face with it. Let me see your thumbnails as easily as possible, rather than having a big image that says its a 3d artist portfolio, as we already know this from the header.

Cut your 2d stuff. None of it is up to par, and really detracts from the rest of your work.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Site needs a ton of work man, best thing to keep in mind is that employers want to see art immediately, with minimal clicks. I think you may benefit in looking at a really successful site like polycounts

Jason Lavoie

Polygoo

and my personal favorite

Damian Lazarski

Jason has changed his site 3 times since I have been on here and each time it gets better and better. Damian has presentation down to the T, showing his textures, modkits etc.

Just a thought. The work it self isn't too bad, I just think with a little help in presentation it could help boost it a lot :)
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Ugh, first post and I screwed up the link, off to a grand start here.

Of course the site needs a lot of work, but as I said, I am very clueless when it comes to web design (as you can see, even hotlinking stuff screws me up). It takes me forever to figure out the right html/css codes to just get things aligned properly, let alone make sure it's all functional. It's something I'd rather not have to deal with to be honest and rather just focus on the actual artwork itself.

Yeah, the 2D stuff will go, I think the only reason I even put it there was because I was trying at one point to go for more 2D artist positions in terms of flash/vector art since those seem to be a hell of a lot more frequently available than 3D art positions these days thanks to iOS/social/fb gaming.

Thanks!
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    www.weebly.com

Less hassle with your website...which allows you to upload and manage the look of the site over the hard coding/monkey work you're probably doing right now. You're stuck to the themes they offer you, but you can still add your own personal touch to them. Plus its very user friendly...just drag and drop what they call elements, and a lot of the CSS is controlled under the hood.

Check it out.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    You don't need to know a lot of complicated webdesign to put together an effective portfolio site. I've seen some really talented artist who get by with just enough html to make a column of images. The main thing is not to let navigating the site get in the way of seeing your work. The fewer clicks needed to see all of your stuff in full resolution the better. Most of the good portfolio sites i've seen recently follow a pretty simple system:

1. main page with a few fairly large banner or thumbnail images for major sections. Try to lay it out so everything on this page can be seen with minimal scrolling.

2. each section page is usually just a column of full sized images. One click at the main page then all anyone has to do to see a whole section is scroll. Make it easy and its more likely people will actually look at everything you took the time to prepare for posting.

3. some sort of header with your name, contact info and link to your resume on every page. Again make it easy for someone to find all the info they'd need to consider you for a job.

This scheme is straightforward, and lets a visitor get through even a fairly large body of work easily.

Whether you code the site yourself or use a site builder doesn't really matter as long as you get an effective showcase for your work. several friends of mine have had good results with carbonmade.

Here's a bunch of sites that use this system. The links Poffington posted also stick pretty close to it as well.
    http://shogun3d.com/
    http://www.wireframeworlds.com/
    http://sunhutzu.carbonmade.com/
    http://www.konradbeerbaum.com/
    http://www.toren3d.com/

As far as the work itself, some of it looks a bit dated. If I'm not mistaken that's UT2004 in the temple city stuff? Also a 1:1 texture map is usually not the best way to approach a large building. Tiling textures and modular detail pieces will get you much better resolution.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    Cut your 2d stuff. None of it is up to par, and really detracts from the rest of your work.
    Gone!
    You don't need to know a lot of complicated webdesign to put together an effective portfolio site. I've seen some really talented artist who get by with just enough html to make a column of images. The main thing is not to let navigating the site get in the way of seeing your work. The fewer clicks needed to see all of your stuff in full resolution the better. Most of the good portfolio sites i've seen recently follow a pretty simple system:

1. main page with a few fairly large banner or thumbnail images for major sections. Try to lay it out so everything on this page can be seen with minimal scrolling.

2. each section page is usually just a column of full sized images. One click at the main page then all anyone has to do to see a whole section is scroll. Make it easy and its more likely people will actually look at everything you took the time to prepare for posting.

3. some sort of header with your name, contact info and link to your resume on every page. Again make it easy for someone to find all the info they'd need to consider you for a job.

This scheme is straightforward, and lets a visitor get through even a fairly large body of work easily.
    See the thing is, that's what I set out to do when I built the website. Though I guess I got carried away with thumbnails and trying to compartmentalize everything. I assumed that by flooding a page with super large images would be bad for people who have monitors with low resolutions and such. Especially if we are trying to keep the scrolling to a minimum.
    As far as the work itself, some of it looks a bit dated. If im not mistaken that's UT2004 in the temple city stuff? Also a 1:1 texture map is usually not the best way to approach a large building. Tiling textures and modular detail pieces will get you much better resolution.
    That's why it is on the bottom. But it is the only example I have of a constructed level through and through at the moment. And yeah, using 1:1 maps was a product of what I learned in school when I made that stuff. I've learned more since then, though haven't had time to properly demonstrate.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry, might not have been clear that this involves creating a main page and multiple separate section pages.

Scrolling on the main page should be at a minimum. Scrolling down a column of images for each section is way better than clicking five ten or even more thumbnails. I added a bunch of links to my earlier post...

As far as the older work goes.. its your judgment call to make, but what you put up is what people will use to guess at your abilities. If the only example is one that's done incorrectly in an 8 year old engine... Again, its up to you. Its never easy to make cuts to your own work, but tough self editing is usually a good thing.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    s far as the older work goes.. its your judgment call to make, but what you put up is what people will use to guess at your abilities. If the only example is one that's done incorrectly in an 8 year old engine... Again, its up to you. Its never easy to make cuts to your own work, but tough self editing is usually a good thing.
    Yeah, believe me I'm not happy that the only full in-game environment I've created is one that's years old from UT2004. I suppose it no longer is needed since there's not much there that would really make a difference positively. It just takes so damn long to create a full environment that'd pass as production quality these days.

Oh well, it's due for the cutting block then

Those are some great websites you linked to. I'm trying to view the source codes for them and figuring out how they made them. It's really hard for me though. Coding websites just rubs me the wrong way. I know there are template websites, but most of those I've tried had some crappy issues where you couldn't get the source codes for the templates or edit them much, and I haven't found any templates that really resonate.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    this might interest you: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91572

wordpress blogs are easy to setup as well, depending on your host they can be free and customizable.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    cptSwing wrote: »
    this might interest you: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91572

wordpress blogs are easy to setup as well, depending on your host they can be free and customizable.
    Thank you so much for that link! That was exactly what I was looking for in terms of some sort of template code I could "borrow" and get something more closely resembling a simple, yet professional website layout.

So yeah, admittedly my website will probably wind up looking like a carbon copy of one of those sites in that thread (or another site), but as I said, I'm no genius at web design. Dunno how I'll fit my work into it yet though, many of my screenshots are various different sizes.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Hello again everyone!

So yeah, I realized after a bit that all I was trying to accomplish with making a simple website, was something that was essentially what blogspot already provides, so I just said "eff it" and got me one of those. And man, it definitely does make a difference.

http://erictopf.blogspot.com/

I made my domain point to it as well, so we can all forget about the horrifying layout of my original site.....right? :poly136:

Anyway, not intending to rest easy. All I have now is the foundations to build something on (which are hopefully somewhat sturdy), so now I can make more cool stuff.
  • Kbrom12
  • Soul_of_Solace
    That's sort of what I'm working on actually. Mind you, the models are not final, hence the "rough whitebox" aspect of it. But the scene is what I've conceptualized and would love one day to finish as something in Unreal (including animations, visual effects, etc.).

One nice bit of feedback I got recently from someone at Valve regarding this piece was "try to give each prop some sort of character". I immediatly realized what he was saying, because, you could take some of the props as they are now and simply label them as "generic tech part 1" and such and such. By giving them character, you make them unique. That's what I aim to go for.

Glad you like it though! :)
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I just skimmed through most of the responses, but got to say something. I love your mailbox, street light, and fire hydrante, But what did you do behind it with that wall? You spent time on the assets' textures but, aborted a obvious tiling texture onto the wall to help the assets looks better? Trying to be funny but, come on!
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Well yeah, obvious tiling texture is supposed to be obvious, otherwise it wouldn't be obvious :poly124:. I wanted to show off the assets in Unreal asap. It would take more time than I wanted to set up a scene for them. A white background wall is fine since the assets are the the objects of attention anyway. Lately though, I'm wondering if Marmoset might be better off for simply showing individual assets.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Good tiling textures should not be obviously tiling, right now there are dark elements that line up creating repeating vertical dark lines. In a production environment you would get asked to fix that. You'd be better showing off those assets against a neutral background because right now the first thing I see is the badly tiling background.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Point taken. I'll probably change it to one of UDK's generic textures then for future reference. I wasn't really looking at the background for those shots since I'm focusing on the assets themselves.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I would keep the mailbox, and your 'interesting older pieces' are actually pretty nice and interesting. The rest I would cut. You might be able to save that Mayan Environment, but the lighting needs a ton of work. Placing one light in a scene and hitting render ain't gonna cut it. Is it low-poly? Get it into UDK, give the textures a bit of love, and make it look like it is actually situated in a Jungle.

Also, that low-poly greyscale environment in your older pieces is quite interesting. Why not texture that and spruce it up?
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Huh, even cut the Maxis stuff? Usually most people would say not to cut the stuff that actually made it in-game of a final product.

And the Mayan environment lighting is using mental ray's sun/sky. So it was more than just placing one light and hitting render. It is low-poly stuff though, so it could potentially be placed in Unreal. Actually come to think of it, they are props I had created for UT2004, so they have been in Unreal at one point.

The rough whiteboxes are actually what I'm working on now. I have to tackle each piece individually though, and because most of them are "rough", I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to make them more interesting.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would bury the Maxis stuff somewhere near the end of your folio, just before your last piece, which should be your second best. True you might want to keep assets that actually made it into a game in your folio. Was it a cel-shaded game? Maybe try and display them better? Some lighting might help them along, the cel-shading kills the normal maps etc. Plus their textures are fairly underwhelming. Your UV packing could do with some practice, and make sure the size correlation between UV islands is the same scale difference on the model.

Sorry if it seems I'm ripping you, I'm not, I think you definitely have what it takes, and that you realise developing and taking crits is the way to do that, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering at all.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Sadly I am unable to edit the Maxis assets anymore since those are property of EA now and I no longer have the source files. But I've gone ahead and lowered their post to the near end. The game had unique shaders so it was very stylized. The glow map actually functioned as a sort of Opacity map as well (well, opacity only being either 0 or 1, no partial transparencies).

And yeah, UV mapping is still something I'm learning. In the past I tried to cheat a lot by overlapping UV's, but that's not really feasible (I don't think) for game engines and especially for stuff like AO.

Hah, nope, not ripping in the slightest. I've been on the receiving end of much worse :) Thank you for the honest critiques, I really appreciate them. And it's good to hear I'm not a total lost cause.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    content aside...

This site has no contact info or resume (or it's super hidden). Even if you were the best applicant I received, I'd pass you over because of not knowing how to reach you or knowing anything of your experience.

Also, watermark your images with contact info.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Typically one would only find my website through my resume to begin with from a job application. That said, I've added an Info gadget to the site which contains those things.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Your biggest issues here is texturing and lighting.

Your lighting is often terrible and you should use something like Marmoset to get a better look at your objects.

Your texturing skills are average/low but because you make terrible UVs it looks bad from up close.

At the moment (if I were you) I would get rid of everything except the maxis stuff and the unreal objects, and for the later I would relight them in marmoset and redo the texture/UVs if I wanted to show them.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I think you need to clean a lot of your workflow, (sorry if this has been mentioned above) Your normal maps appear to be generated from crazybump?

Your diffuse maps super busy for the style. Usually the diffuse doesn't need more than just color info. save that stuff for the Spec map. Find references for the materials you're trying to create.

Observation is the most important part of making textures.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Your biggest issues here is texturing and lighting.

Your lighting is often terrible and you should use something like Marmoset to get a better look at your objects.

Your texturing skills are average/low but because you make terrible UVs it looks bad from up close.

At the moment (if I were you) I would get rid of everything except the maxis stuff and the unreal objects, and for the later I would relight them in marmoset and redo the texture/UVs if I wanted to show them.
    You're comments are a bit vague. You say lighting is terrible, but you don't say why that is. The Unreal objects are being lit using Unreal lights, I don't see what more there is to do with them.

You say my texture/UV skills are low, but don't give any examples once again. Also, you wish for me to re UV those Unreal objects. Why would I do that when they are unwrapped to a constant texel density?
    I think you need to clean a lot of your workflow, (sorry if this has been mentioned above) Your normal maps appear to be generated from crazybump?

Your diffuse maps super busy for the style. Usually the diffuse doesn't need more than just color info. save that stuff for the Spec map. Find references for the materials you're trying to create.

Observation is the most important part of making textures.
    Well, I don't know which normal maps you are referring to, but those are mostly generated from high poly meshes using Transfer Maps in Maya. Though I use crazybump as well for other details. Can you give more specifics in regards to my workflow? Again, that's pretty vague terms.

Which diffuse maps again are you talking about? The ones for the Unreal objects look fine to me. Also, with regards to the spec map, I keep having difficulties getting it to work in Unreal, it just doesn't seem to give me any "shine" at all. And all those Unreal objects were made from image references as well.
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    My crits:

-Your highpoly models seem unclean (fire hydrant), e.g. a lot of triangles and not as much quads as possible. Also the edge flow doesn't look very smooth.

-The texture of the fire hydrant looks blant, i almost thought it was an untextured model with just grey material aplied. Maybe this color was on your reference, but i dont like it. It looks extra dull because of the desaturated (back)ground.

-the props together look a bit uncohesive. I would suggest to make a small scene filled with similar props so you can show composition, lighting and coherent art style skills.

What is the problem with the spec map? If u make the spec map brighter, you will have more specularity. With the specular power slot u can adjust the size of the hotspot.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i meant it for most of your work overall. start using Zbrush or some other sculpting program to get those details that you're getting with crazybump. It just doesn't give the quality lighting that a bake from a highpoly model would.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry,

I mostly stayed vague because I didn't have the time nor motivation to write a tldr; post at the time.

There's lots to be said about your textures or your UV choices. Like learning that having equal texel density over an object everywhere is not always a winner. Learning how to make a good re-usage of your textures (stacking, tiling) to save space and so on...

I always try to help my best when I decide to post in someone's thread but sometimes there's just so much to say that:

A) it's gonna be too long for me and the person might not even want to hear it;

B) people will think of me as an ass that likes to tell other people what's wrong with their work (Nowadays you cannot be as direct with people as you could in the past on polycount).

Now if you want help on specifics I'm sure I/we can write a few things. Some already did. :)
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Hupie wrote: »
    -Your highpoly models seem unclean (fire hydrant), e.g. a lot of triangles and not as much quads as possible. Also the edge flow doesn't look very smooth.
    Does triangulation really matter on a high poly mesh that is just being used for a Normal Map transfer? What does edge flow not being smooth mean? The high poly edges look smooth to me in the areas where they need to be smooth.
    -The texture of the fire hydrant looks blant, i almost thought it was an untextured model with just grey material aplied. Maybe this color was on your reference, but i dont like it. It looks extra dull because of the desaturated (back)ground.
    Yep, that was the texture on the image reference, it's just a white hydrant.
    What is the problem with the spec map? If u make the spec map brighter, you will have more specularity. With the specular power slot u can adjust the size of the hotspot.
    Well like I said, no matter how much I increased the values I could never get a proper "shine" to appear. It just stayed pretty drab.
    I think i meant it for most of your work overall. start using Zbrush or some other sculpting program to get those details that you're getting with crazybump. It just doesn't give the quality lighting that a bake from a highpoly model would.
    How would a high poly model in Zbrush provide a better lit quality normal map than what you could create and tweak in Crazybump?
    ParoXum wrote: »
    There's lots to be said about your textures or your UV choices. Like learning that having equal texel density over an object everywhere is not always a winner. Learning how to make a good re-usage of your textures (stacking, tiling) to save space and so on...
    Equal texel density has been drilled into my head by a variety of Art Directors and teachers. I suppose it may not always work, but it's supposed to be a target one should work well to attain in order to keep things cohesive. Especially since not every engine or pipeline will support the options to have multiple tiling textures or dynamic AO. Also, it's impossible to stack or Tile UV/Textures over eachother while still being able to do an AO bake in order to get that detail into the diffuse channel.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equal texel density has been drilled into my head by a variety of Art Directors and teachers. I suppose it may not always work, but it's supposed to be a target one should work well to attain in order to keep things cohesive. Especially since not every engine or pipeline will support the options to have multiple tiling textures or dynamic AO. Also, it's impossible to stack or Tile UV/Textures over eachother while still being able to do an AO bake in order to get that detail into the diffuse channel.

Well you seem to know your job better than us, so in that case I'm glad I didn't spend hours writing a post then.:)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... but your texel density is all over the place on the Maxis work. That's the point...

...and you were wondering why your lighting lacks? It's got nothing to do with the code that Epic wrote, it's to do with your knowledge of what good lighting is. You need to study some art direction, colour theory... search for videos of Trine 2 on youtube. You'll get what I mean. Shit's like a moving painting.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    EDIT: Should have handled that better
    Andreas wrote: »
    ... but your texel density is all over the place on the Maxis work. That's the point...

...and you were wondering why your lighting lacks? It's got nothing to do with the code that Epic wrote, it's to do with your knowledge of what good lighting is. You need to study some art direction, colour theory... search for videos of Trine 2 on youtube. You'll get what I mean. Shit's like a moving painting.
    Moving painting? You could have just said go look at God of War 3 (a joke!)

As for the Maxis stuff, you're right, that's not texel density perfect, because it's one of those instances where an engine/pipeline has different needs and limitations.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well. I tried.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    EDIT: no one likes a quitter
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would a high poly model in Zbrush provide a better lit quality normal map than what you could create and tweak in Crazybump?

go ahead and fucking try it! you'll see. Stop being lazy.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Well, just letting you know it's not something I can demonstrate in a jiffy. I'd actually have to learn either Zbrush or Mudbox first which might take some time.

Probably gonna catch hell for this post after saying I was done too.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Okey man, first of. Take a deep breath and relax. So you came here to get critique on your work right? That's something that everybody doesn't actually get on this forum, alot of threads just passes by, but yours stuck and you got your critique.

It mostly seems like you just don't want to hear it, at all. You tarted of by saying that you wanted critique and that you were tired of hearing "wow, that's awesome" (and I'm with you, if you put something up you don't want to hear it, god or bad doesn't matter). So that's what you got.

Your write that you want to work with environments and props. You just happend to get one of the absolute top environment artists on PC to give you crit, from ParoXum. Now, what he wrote in the first post was pretty much "I don't have time for a longer post at the moment, but these are the main problems with your work". Pretty much implying that there would be more in depth critique ahead. Just saying, if you would have relaxed for an hour you would have gotten what you came here for. And yeah, I can see how hes post could come of as ignorant and douchey but that's the real Polycount spirit right there. The most honest critique you'll ever gonna get.

Taking pride in your work is obvious that you do. I do. But there's a difference in defending your work with everything you got, and fairly aggressively to for that matter, you'r NEVER gonna get anywhere. You would have been better of with the people telling you it was "awesome".

Try to go back and see what people wrote before you started defending your self in every possible way, there is information there that would be invaluable for you if you just toke it in. And btw, stacking stuff in a texture, reusing stuff and still have a good AO is more of a common standard then not doing it. It's not always what you think is right, you always learn. There's always gonna be newer, smarter and better looking ways of doing things. That's why i love game art so much. The technical side is just awesome. You'll never get to know those things if you keep that attitude up. It's a simple choice.

Good luck in life. I hope you have a brighter view of things involving your life. And yeah, just wanted to quote you on something.
    Thank you in advance for your feedback. I'll definitely respond to any and all criticisms......Politely I promise
  • Soul_of_Solace
    EDIT: Should have dropped it by now :poly122:
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been reading this book Apprenticeship Patterns: Guidance for the Aspiring Software Craftsman. It's quite good, not so much for an artist though, but here's a quote for you from it worth reading:

A Zen master of great renown was visited by a young philosopher who had traveled from a distant land to meet him. The master agreed to see him because the philosopher came with high recommendations by his teachers. The two sat under a tree to converse and the subject hastily turned to what the master could teach the young philosopher. Recognizing the flame of youth, the master smiled warmly and started to describe his meditation techniques. He was cut short by the philosopher, who said: “Yes, I understand what you are talking about! We did a similar technique at the temple, but instead we used images to focus!”

Once the philosopher was done explaining to the master how he was taught and practiced his meditation, the master spoke again. This time he tried to tell the young man about how one should be attuned to nature and the universe. He didn’t get two sentences in when the philosopher cut him short again and started talking about how he had been taught meditation and so on and so on.

Once again, the master patiently waited for the young philosopher to end his excited explanations. When the philosopher was quiet again, the master spoke of seeing humor in every situation. The young man didn’t lose any time and started to talk about his favorite jokes and how he thought they could relate to situations he had faced.

Once the philosopher was done, the Zen master invited him inside for a tea ceremony. The philosopher accepted gladly, having heard of how the master performed the ceremony like no other. Such a moment was always a privileged one with such a man. Once inside, the master performed flawlessly up to the point where he started to pour the tea in the cup. As the master was pouring, the philosopher noticed that the cup was being filled more than usual. The master kept pouring tea and the cup was soon full to the brim. Not knowing what to say, the young man stared at the master in astonishment. The master kept pouring as if nothing was wrong, and the cup started to overflow, spilling hot tea on the floor mattresses and the master’s hakama. Not believing what he was seeing, the philosopher finally exclaimed: “Stop pouring! Can’t you see the cup is already full and overflowing?”

With those words, the master gently placed the teapot back on the fire and looked at the young philosopher with his ever-present warm smile and said: “If you come to me with a cup that is already full, how can you expect me to give you something to drink?”

This story was adapted from Michel Grandmont’s “Tasting a New Cup of Tea.”* We retell it here to illustrate the sort of attitude a successful apprenticeship requires. The more experience you already have, the more effort you will need to put into “emptying your cup,” clearing your mind of bad habits, setting aside the pride you have in your skills, and opening yourself up to the different, often counterintuitive, approaches of your more experienced colleagues.

* http://www.ironmag.com/archive/ironmag/2000_mg_reality_of_learning.htm dead link...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_lx5nk3sYnT1r37btso1_500.jpg

You're going to need to learn ZBrush. Most environment artists have at least a basic knowledge of it. It's hella fun.
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    I hope this helps.

If you look closely at other talented 3d artists work, you will see that almost all highpoly models have clean wireframes so you get the best baking results among other advantages like easy post-editing of the model.

It looks like you continue modeling on a smoothed highpoly model which is not the ideal work flow. Normally you would work on a unsmoothed version of your highpoly and smooth it if you want to just view the final result. If this doesn't make any sense to you, i suggest looking for sub-d workflows/tutorials like this one:

(one of the first hits via google i could find. It's in max while you probably work in maya, but the basics are the same)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeayTnldCV8"]SubD Modeling part1 - YouTube[/ame]

critiquetopf.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Not really. He might have started his first post by saying "there might be more to come" (which was not even a promise that more would come), and then just a bit later he writes:

Pretty much saying "haha nope! FU!" and that was it. I don't even know what prompted that response from him at all, since all I did before that was explaining my workflow and why I've been doing things the way I've been doing them and what has been drilled into my head by other "experienced artists" (but not saying that no one else is experienced or has lower value). Though it sounded like no one was even giving me a chance to explain anything.

Did you even read what i wrote? Srlsy, stop defending and explaining your self. Sure you want to explain your workflow, but you came here asking for help. Your headline should have been "Art dump - I'll explain what technique I use (I really don't want to hear about the other, better techniques there is out there)".

And yeah, I can see why ParoXum wrote that. Why the f**k should he put time into trying to help someone just writes it of as BS? I would have written the exact same thing.

You are a real energy drainer really. I didn't want to be negative, but really you are. If you'r not gonna stop being so up in your self you'll end up in a very lonely place, let me tell you.

Can I ask you for this, read my post and what I refer to. Take everything that it says for the exact truth, imagine that it would be, and see how that feels. No need to write anything down in here or what ever. Just try it. Maybe something new would start to grow. Imagine that, rad shit.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with the others, you're biggest issue is the way you present your models, the lighting makes them look a tad boring and stale. You need contrasting colors, proper specular and most importantly if you show them off in the environment that they're intended to be in it'll be the best. The quickest way to learn is just to look at photography and others peoples work to get a basic understanding of what makes things look good. There are couple of lighting tutorials out there I think. Maybe in the Polycount-wiki.

The flowers for EA/Maxis though are great, the best work in the portfolio by far, colorful, well executed and presented.
    Typically one would only find my website through my resume to begin with from a job application. That said, I've added an Info gadget to the site which contains those things.

This is a problem, as an artist you need to market yourself. It's very important that people can find your contact information and even your website if they try to google it.

I also believe that if people feel that you're coming off as arrogant, or that you can't take critique, chances are that you're exactly like that. People are trying to help in any way they can, you just need to have the "Kill-your-darlings"-attitude and thicker skin and take most of the critique to the heart, especially from those more experienced and skilled.

Just suck it up, present yourself as positive, out-going and willing to learn and take critique. You don't ever want to burn any bridges in this industry.

Good luck and keep working though :) It's looking good so far! Just keep working hard!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, just letting you know it's not something I can demonstrate in a jiffy. I'd actually have to learn either Zbrush or Mudbox first which might take some time.

Probably gonna catch hell for this post after saying I was done too.

dude it'll take you like a week. I suggest you just swallow your pride, start enjoying your work, instead of the "that looks awesome" comments. Humble down padawan, YOU'LL GET NOWHERE WITHOUT CRITIQUE.

instead of making fucking bullshit ass excuses and batting away critique, make notes and better your work.

grow up.
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Thank you everyone. You are all correct. Instead of being a bitch and saying "Well, that's how I've always done things so there!" I should have instead been humble and courteous and stated "Oh? What steps can I take to fix those issues?" without getting all bent out of shape. I suppose I lost myself in trying to figure out how I can fix something immediately and got overwhelmed trying to think of too many things at once in addition to missing the point entirely on most of the posts. So I apologize deeply for being unproductive, unhelpful and insulting to those who were only trying to help.

And well, there you have it for now I guess. I have to go back and redo my workflow. Thank you for that image Hupie. It is disconcerting that I myself was unable to see a problem with those areas (at least not even thinking model topology was a cause). And you are right, my highpoly model in that instance was mainly derived from Maya's Smooth tech. I wasn't sure how else to create a highpoly model that was dimensionally close to the lowpoly so that the Transfer Map envelope would catch it accurately.

And now that I have a clearer head. Gotta watch a lot of tutorials and practice. Thanks again everyone, and sorry for being such an ungrateful ass :(
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Your fire hydrant high poly looks like just a smoothed version of the low, which is one of the main reasons you're running into smoothing errors. In this case you'd benefit quite a bit from focusing on a really clean high poly first, and then creating an optimized low poly with different topology afterwards.

*Whoops, looks like that was already said* Oh well, it's worth repeating. :)
  • Soul_of_Solace
    I see, thank you for the suggestion. Is it typical nowadays to create your high-poly mesh (in Zbrush I presume) first and then create the low-poly mesh?