Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Daniel Mitchell

Hey everyone I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself by showing everyone my site. I would really appreciate crit on my work and some advice on what I should add to show off skills potential employers would be looking for. I think my best strength is concept art but I am developing a passion for high poly character modelling and texturing. Here's my site:

www.danielmitchellart.com

hope you enjoy!

A little background: I graduated in december last year and live in Australia.

Cheers!

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there, welcome :) Just so you know: we don't bullshit with our critique here.

Okay here we go:

The initial impression of your portfolio is quite weak, make sure you follow regular design rules like the grid-system to help you line up things properly. Don't use hotmail, use gmail or something that feels at least a little bit more professional. You're not selling yourself as something either? What's your title? 3d-artist? concept-artist?

When applying to a company you need to sell yourself as something, and you need to be pretty damn good at the thing you do.

Regarding the content, to me it feels like you're lacking the basic skills, here we usually want to see game-ready art. The high-poly Zbrush stuff looks a little bit awkward, proportions not being entirely correct and they end up looking blobby instead of well-defined.

The weapons you've made, the axes look pretty cool, would be great if you could get them to a game-ready state and show them off in a game-engine :)

There are thousands of really really good Zbrush sculpters out there, if you're going to have a portfolio full with Zbrush sculpted stuff you need to make sure it looks awesome and as good as the rest of them. You're not showing any skill in texturing or regular propping right now.

Regarding the 2d-stuff, right now I think your sketches are much much better than your paintings. Really like some of those sketches, really nice for simple concepting. Remember that your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece.

I don't mean to sound harsh, you just need to focus on what you want to do and get your skills in that particular area up to a professional level. So a quick-review:

- Sell yourself as something, and specialize in that particular area.
    - Take away your weakest pieces
    - Zbrush weapons look pretty cool (Take them to low-poly and in-game)
    - Sketches are nicer than the paintings (in my opinion)
    - Make sure you have a resum
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i agree about sketches looking better than concepts. there's lots of cool designs in your 2d stuff but it seems you don't have a good technique for digital painting and shading yet.
    most of those colored concepts look very flat and they have a kinda cheesy look due to usage of soft brushes. colors feel too bold as well, with few exceptions.

another thing sticking out is that your characters have very short legs.
  • SouthHound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys I really appreciate a no-bullshit approach - thanks heaps! Will take everything on-board.

@ chrisradsby - is it a good idea to try and sell myself in concept art and z-brush sculpting?
    I know I need to work on it but how would you sell yourself? E.g. do I say in my title: Daniel Mitchell: Character Artist and then go on about skills in those areas in my contact/bio section?
    Should I have a full section which is simply titled CV?

I will definitely get a g-mail account!

Do you guys think I should focus more on sculpting or concepting at this stage? Should I give one up in favor of the other?

Thanks again for the help!