Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mass Effect Inspired Modular Environment

This was a collaborative art project to help my students learn modular texturing and model creation. The entire project used 3 tiling textures and 3 normal maps. It took about 5 weeks to do ( meeting once a week for 4 hours ) It was done in UDK.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o04cWVPxQ2w"]Mass Effect Inspired Modular Environment - YouTube[/ame]

I really enjoyed teaching the class and showing the techniques. I feel it went better than most of the other classes I teach just because I centered it around recreating a concept as a team. So much so that I am thinking about teaching an online class using this method:) Good idea?

Nick
https://videogameartist.wordpress.com/category/game-design/

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Cool , that looks really nice with that budget :)!
    Wish you'd push the lighting a little bit more in the forge-type area (some emissive lights on walls and floors etc etc) but really really nice work :)
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!!!

Yah....that area lighting got kind of rushed at the last moment of class:) If we had more time I would love to hit it up more.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    One of the most important things in an environment is lighting, it can make great texture look like shit, and shitty textures look good. I would definitely revisit this and just pour effort into the lighting. That would really make this scene great! Solid work otherwise.
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem with this is that in my opinion it does not read as a "Mass Effect" scene. The second area looks more like Mustafar from Star Wars III.

I felt that the robots were out of place. They didn't fit the aesthetic of Mass Effect. I felt that the second robot looked like it was based off of the robots from Portal 2.