Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

T 34 76 Model Tank to use in game

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
whitewatercarriers.jpg
This is my high polygon model for the T 34 sitting at around 2Mil tris,
Am looking for some critical responses and any criticism is appreciated:

This image is off my low poly model so far: 17095 Tris.
lowpolytankfinalishhh.jpg
Any help is much appreciated,
Many Thanks

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    that's a very nice model of an iconic tank, so kudos :)

couple of quick suggestions:

- slightly larger screenshots would help
    - there seem to be a couple of shading glitches on the sides of the high poly model? or are the angle changes intentional maybe.. below the turrent and to the rear
    - i might be talking out of my ass, but from memory the barrel is usually a little stubbier/fatter and with a slight taper?
    - as for the low poly, you could save tris by getting rid of the loops and indents going around the wheels, and even more if you decide to normalmap the holes (the latter's definitely a matter of choice though)
    - the front upper part of the tracks looks a little squished :)

but yeah, post bigge pics, it's a little hard to make out the wireframe details on the low. and again, nice model :)
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    il get some bigger pics up for you tommorrow mate im just moving back from my second semester at university so am busy at but will re render them out for you.
    The shading under the turret is intentional but i didnt see the ones on the rear of the tank , thankyou very much.

Im trying to check that the normals for the tracks will bake properly but keep gaining errors ( the red blotchs on the map) and have tried to increase the projection cage so that it encompasses the whole of the tracks but am still getting the errors. i think the barrel is basically straight, well in my references it has been
    References:
    T34_76_Westerplatte_b_d.jpg
    The wheels in this reference are incorrect and are not original to the tank but you can see that the barrel is very much just a cylinder.
    Thank you for the feedback :D
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice model so far. The barrel does indeed have a slight extrusion at the end though as seen in the ref. Good luck with he rest of the work, I'm sure it will be nice when completed.
  • StuButler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuButler polycounter lvl 9
    As stated above, large shots would be a nice idea, looks like there are some optimization opportunities on the front (seems to be a lot of loops running down the front which add no shape), possibly the hand rails and wheels as well.

The normal map bake will be the telling point of this, keep going, good work so far.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Love it, but yea, the low-poly could do with some optimisation, particularly at the front. There's also a misplaced vert right at the front of the tracks which looks odd. Great job so far.
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, only thing I'd say is that the track seem a bit loose on the low poly model. Otherwise great job.

For what game is it for?
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is for a university project and will be put into the unreal engine at the moment, its just the quality of an in game model rather than specifically being for any game but it will run nicely in the unreal enginge hopefuully :D
    thanks for the feedback guys im sorting out the optimisation now and its goingdown in tris slowly :D

And the point at the front of the low poly tracks is gone too some reason a vertex seemed to stray off on the low poly tracks

Thanks again
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a problem creating normal maps for my tracks, i unwrapped just my low poly tracks and projected the high poly onto the normal map to check that they would work properlly at a later unwrap of the full tank but i couldnt get the normal map to work correctly, no matter how large i made the projection cage i still had the red lines appearing on the map.

Any ideas?

Im going to try later to align the low poly as accurately as i can to the high poly ones but is there something im doing wrong?

Thanks Guys
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uvwssofar.jpg

Uv's Nearly done and ready for texturing any crits are much appreciated !! :P
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly Model with uv checker on
    lowpolychecker.jpg
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Lot's of unused space on your uvmap. Either pack it better or if you can't find a good way use the space for the other wheels. Also i would recommend to straighten all uv lines that are a bit wavy now. Especialy important where the uvsplits are. This will give you a better result when you bake normals and it's easier to texture. Don't worry if it causes some minor stretching. The pros far outweight the cons.
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive still got a few items to add into the uvs mate but yeah i can see what your saying about the waves. ive straightened some out and will upload tommorrow the uvs with it more compacted and accurately spaced :D cheers mate
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My normal maps wont bake out properly they just come up as the nuetral blue colour when opened with no detail in them, i must have done something wrong, Im using the scanline renderer too will that affect it?

whatgoinonwithnmb.jpg

Any ideas guys??
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highres_Screenshot_00009.jpg
    tank textured in udk :D
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    You can use the scanline to bake normals. I actually like it.
    Remember of turn on the supersampling for better results.
    Also I suggest isolate the track and maybe some other areas beffore you bake the normals. Or you might get some artifacts from other close parts.
    Can you show your baked normals?
    For the texture try to remove the noise and leave dirty, scratches and all this kind of stuff to use in a smart way. Like places where have more contact with humans, environment, etc.
    Your reference is a old and rusty tank. If you don´t want your tank looks like and 50 years old monument try to get some more reference. :)