Home General Discussion

Photoshop CS6 (beta out)

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    No upgrade price for CS6, right? All CS6 tools we'll be subscription based (monthly or yearly) from what I understand. Or only CS5 liscense holders can have it?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Finally, perspective cropping. That only took 13 years.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So glad they switched to a dark interface.

malcolm - perspective cropping has been there for a while now, since at least CS4 I think. Not sure why they're pimping it like a new feature.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I'm loving the New Tiled Painting from Layer function! It makes it so easy to paint tileable textures.

Capture.JPG

And I saw someone complain that you can't export the textures. You can. You have to go into the layers tab and find the 3D object, and then you double click the diffuse channel. That will open the texture flat as a new document so you can paint on it there, or save it out as a file.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean VanGorder my god you're right! Aaaaaah, why didn't I know about this. Perhaps the new one supports curved cropping like the warp tool.
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus wrote: »
    I'm loving the New Tiled Painting from Layer function! It makes it so easy to paint tileable textures.

And I saw someone complain that you can't export the textures. You can. You have to go into the layers tab and find the 3D object, and then you double click the diffuse channel. That will open the texture flat as a new document so you can paint on it there, or save it out as a file.
    Whoa, what is this? I didn't see this in the new features notes, and haven't seen anyone talking about it
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cant wait to try the tiled painting! I wonder what kind of options it has. Is there some kind of built-in 3*3 3D plane setup ?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    It seems I'm the only one that didn't like the autodesk-ish interface?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Fingus wrote: »

I complained a bit quickly, though right clicking on the diffuse layer didn't present any options to get at the map. The double click revelation makes my problems go away though :).

pior wrote: »
    Is there some kind of built-in 3*3 3D plane setup ?

Yup that is pretty much what it is, it updates the tiles after each stroke, and you can see how it tiles as you paint, whereas in something like zbrush with the ~ method you get done with a map only to realize it doesn't tile very well.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just a 3x3 plane with unitized faces with a straight on orthographic camera in 3D mode. It's not a feature as much as it's a preset.

What does concern me though is that I haven't found any obvious way to work in multiple layers with it...
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jramauri wrote: »
    It seems I'm the only one that didn't like the autodesk-ish interface?
    you have four color schemes under preferences -> interface, one them is almost ( or exactly) the same as cs5, and there's an extra light one too.

Or do you mean fonts/icons and stuff? I think they're awesome, but that's just me.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    No upgrade price for CS6, right? All CS6 tools we'll be subscription based (monthly or yearly) from what I understand. Or only CS5 liscense holders can have it?

No, you'll be able to buy a normal CS6 license like you have been able with CS4, CS5 etc. But subscription will also be an option, so you can choose. - Also, no upgrade price yet, because it hasn't even been released yet. IT will only be released April/May, just as all other new releases were, and the price will be announced then.

Q: Will I have a choice between Adobe Creative Cloud and Creative Suite 6 in 2012?

A: "Absolutely — you will be able to choose between the two options. Adobe will offer customers the ability to purchase individual CS products (such as Photoshop® and Illustrator®) and suite editions just like today, as perpetual desktop licenses. Or customers will be able to purchase a membership to Creative Cloud, which will provide access to the latest versions of all of Adobe’s Creative Suite desktop tools plus Adobe Touch Apps, online creative services, and more. Creative Cloud will be offered for as low as US$49.99 per month for an annual plan, providing maximum flexibility and a lower cost of entry. "

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#upgrade-eligibility
  • 50p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    50p polycounter lvl 13
    0.o perspective cropping just rocked my socks off!!!!!
    LOL I don't see the point in having separate tool for perspective cropping :) I rather have perspective checkbox in crop tool properties than have another same tool.

TBH, I don't see many new features there that I'd be using. The only thing interests me is the improved speed they talk about. Is it really that fast? I mean, what else is faster apart from Liquify, Puppet Warp, and Crop?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey so I've used CS6 for an hour now, seems total shit, my feedback below.

My system specs:
    win7 64bit, 12gig of ram, ATI Radeon 5850 with 1gig of ram.

-Ironically it runs slower than CS4 in 32bit mode.

-The perspective cropping is exactly the same as CS4, but moved to a separate tool?

-The colour picker wheel doesn't show up?

-The floating windows still fill up your task bar with clutter, unlike CS4, I still don't like tabs, I like to see multiple images at the same time.

-Filters are still destructive, really? Still no non destructive filters?

-The three new blur filters are very cool, the tilt shift blur is equivalent to the free iphone app I've had for years, good to see Adobe is on the cutting edge here, but the field blur is pretty good allowing for fake depth of field without having to paint a mask, it always shows you the results in real time and you can save the results to a mask which is great, I wish there was a way to duplicate points though and scale the points so they were ovals.

-The help is broken so I can't actually see what the new features are, does anyone have the official list?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if you're running a 64bit os, why are you running the app in 32bit?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    malcolm: the beauty of the tabs in CS6 to me is that i can mix tabbed images with floating ones and can tab or un-tab them with a drag. such a relief compared to CS5's tab-group approach.

anyone knows what happened to the old 'image -> adjustments - > variations' dialog?
    there's now an entry called 'HDR toning' in it's place which looks like some pretty poor subset of adobe lightroom functionality. and requires you to flatten the image to do anything... useless!

edit: 'Note: The Variations command is unavailable for (...), and 64-bit versions of Mac OS.' ahhhh, that'll be it then. shame.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almight_gir, CS6 runs slower in 64bit mode than my old CS4 running in 32bit mode, I think you misread my post. And the reason I run CS4 in 32bit mode is because the nVidia dds exporter didn't exist for many years for 64bit, now that it does I'm just too lazy to redo all my prefs, I'll get around to it some day.

thomasp, you can do that tab stuff in CS4 and CS5, the problem is when I mix or outright turn tabs off since I hate them, each floating window becomes an item in the task bar, which does not happen in CS4. See below image, this is a well known problem on polycount and the adobe forums, and should have been fixed for CS6 since it was a bug introduced in CS5.

cs5_6_is_fucked.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah Malcolm - if I remember correctly they said it's not a bug (!) since they are following the windows UI rules on this. I do think it's plain dumb too - but I am not surprised they didn't change that behavior.

Only workaround that I know of is to set your taskbar options so that multiple windows of one program get grouped together.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malcolm: Photoshop has had non-destructive filters since cs...2 I think? It's called 'Smart Filters'.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Can someone give me a quick rundown on how to setup the tiled painting? Couldn't find anything on youtube. :/
    I can't seem to find where it's at :P
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea, yeah not a huge fan smart filters since you have to commit all your changes into a container, that and most of the filters I want to use aren't supported in smart filters, e.g. all the lens blurs and chromatic aberration.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    Can someone give me a quick rundown on how to setup the tiled painting? Couldn't find anything on youtube. :/
    I can't seem to find where it's at :P

1 - Create a new document in the size you want.
    2 - 3D > New Tiled Painting from Layer.
    3 - Pick your brush tool and there you go!
    4 - To create a new layer go to your Layers and double click the layer under the Diffuse, it will probably be called Background. This will open the texture as a new document. Make a new layer in this document and go back to your tiled view. The new layer won't be listed but any drawing you do will be on the new layer.
    5 - To save your texture go into the single texture view and just Save As.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't think of a single application besides Photoshop that has this multiple taskbar issue.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    malcolm wrote: »
    I can't think of a single application besides Photoshop that has this multiple taskbar issue.

Illustrator ;)

The taskbar behaviour is pretty annoying. I'm using CS5, and I have it group them, but I still prefer how it'd work in CS3 and earlier, even if it means not having a thumbnail for each document.

Downloading the beta now. I've read that it's got a bunch of improvements that'll help me.

Some links/further reading: http://checkthis.com/el46
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I don't see the point of having tabs if all the images is already in the taskbar.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's super weird - I think it comes from the fact that the recent MS guidelines ask for a program with "undockable" tabs to consider them as separate entities when undocked. In that sense CS5 is consistent with Chrome and any other app. However in the specific case of Photoshop, and unlike Chrome, the free tabs (in our case, documents really) feel like they belong to an overall container (the main Photoshop window), therefore it should be represented by one and only one label. It's the same in Flash CS5.

Not trying to say that Adobe is doing the right thing - it's just that I can totally see them justifying it, even tho it pisses off almost everybody :D And as usual - the easy solution is simply to give people the option for both behaviors. But this is often dismissed because it seems "confusing" ... even tho thousands of power user get annoyed by the new behavior, while newcomers don't even know the problem therefore don't care.

In short, it's a clusterfuck and I don't know who is the dumbest in that case (MS or Adobe hehe)

The workaround is to set the taskbar buttons as combined.

From this :
    2012-03-27_01-52-34.png

To this :
    2012-03-27_01-52-52.png

(I hate having to mess with this kind of stuff so much - such a waste of time, for some stupid reasons we have no control on...)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I blame Apple, isn't that the cool thing to do?

Also, anyone know the ETA on when the final product is going to be released? I don't want to download the Beta and have it suddenly expire on me about 1 year before the final product comes out and have me in a harsh lul, especially with all the awesome stuff it has now and which I will miss if it goes away.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Expires in 60 days (beta runs as a trial) so even and CS6 should be released end of April, early May, if Adobe follows the release schedule they have had for the last couple of years.

Which means, you'll still be using CS6 beta/trial when it actually gets released.

And when I say 60 days, that's 60 days from installation.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Oh, that's makes sense, thanks.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment, the current release cycle is as follows:

Every 2nd year is a full release, e.g. CS5, CS6, CS7 etc, and between full releases, you get a .5 release. so there will be a release every year. CS5 in 2010, CS5.5 in 2011, CS6 in 2012, and CS6.5 should be in 2013, if they decide to keep with this model that they announced last year with the release of 5.5
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    i'm trying this one for a little more then a week and like every new release from adobe (and autodesk ..) in the last years, i can't see why i should upgrade..ah wait, i have to upgrade or i have to rebuy the product for the full price.
    i really like to support software development, but this is getting ridiculous. 5% of the users may need those new(sometimes even cool) features, but the vast amount of people just don't. we have to upgrade to not loose our inital investment, even if there is nothing useable or any benifit for our work.
    I( and my company) have to work with these products, but we think this is a bad direction software development is heading to.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    fade1 wrote: »
    i have to upgrade or i have to rebuy the product for the full price.

yeah I just bought cs5, I think they should at very least allow for 3 generations so only if you buy cs5 now then you can upgrade to cs6 cs7 and cs8 at normal upgrade cost, the upgrades are more like what used to be considered patches/fixes anyway and hardly include any useful core features.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Upgrades are easy.

You only have to upgrade every 3 major releases, before having to repurchase. (So once every 6 or so years) - and an upgrade like that, is still 50% less than a full purchase.

So CS6, is the last version i can upgrade to if i had CS3. If you upgrade from CS5 - CS6, it's cheaper than if you upgraded from CS3-CS6, but it's still massively cheaper than buying the package all over.

And whether you buy an upgrade for every major release (upgrade to CS6, then CS7, then CS8 ) it'll cost roughly in the same region if you skipped CS6 and CS7, and just upgraded to CS8 (if they keep the current pricing structure).

So the incentive is to upgrade, but you're only forced to for every 3 major release versions. (So you're still eligible for upgrade pricing)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    So the incentive is to upgrade, but you're only forced to for every 3 major release versions. (So you're still eligible for upgrade pricing)

ok so thats not sooo bad :)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I still have to give this a try. Is there an easy solution to transfer my cs5 settings, brushes, swatches etc to cs6?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior, I tried combining my taskbar to avoid the bug, but I hate it combined. I can't see what is in the task bar now, I have to hover over it to see and wait like 2 full seconds for the useless virtual window to pop up to show me what's in the photoshop task.

I'm sorry, but fuck fire fox and chrome and all that shit, tabs work fine in there because they are not painting programs, Photoshop worked better before Adobe fucked this up, there isn't really a reason to not have an option to turn this new annoying feature off. I can still turn all the other new annoying features off like, flick panning, pixel grid, zoom animation, auto tabs, why not this? I wish someone would just hack it and release a patch for windows to fix this.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I totally agree - to me it doesn't make much sense either, but I can see how they can somehow "justify" it... Which is sad really, because now PS is at this point where such newly added features like these seem more likely to bring annoyances than real worflow upgrades.

I guess I'm taking the position of "making the best out of the annoying stuff". These things are annoying ... but hacking them usually makes them worse haha. As for the 2 second delay : on my system I can simply click the grouped icons, and it expands them into previews sitting side by side - then I can select the one to bring to the front. Again : not ideal, but maybe it can help in your case ?

Anyways - I find the taskbar pain you are describing pretty similar to the recent caddies in Max. They are "new" features, justified as "easier to the average user" even tho they piss off 90% of power users (the ones actually using the program!), there is no option to turn them off, and they generally slow down the workflow and introduce glitches.

That's why my philosophy is to not upgrade until really necessary. It can take me a while to get used to stuff like this (not that it is hard ; but it sure is distracting, and every distraction can break the flow of being in the zone and I don't want that ) hence I save myself the pain of going through that crap every year (max) or every other year (ps).

On a side note - I heard from an experienced artist at work that CS6 is definitely slower than CS5 for him when working on his day to day stuff (large, layered paintings). Maybe it has faster startup time and some tools have better acceleration built in ... but if, as a whole, CS6 makes painting slower, no thanks!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry, but fuck fire fox and chrome and all that shit, tabs work fine in there because they are not painting programs, Photoshop worked better before Adobe fucked this up, there isn't really a reason to not have an option to turn this new annoying feature off. I can still turn all the other new annoying features off like, flick panning, pixel grid, zoom animation, auto tabs, why not this? I wish someone would just hack it and release a patch for windows to fix this.

send them an e-mail.
    one thing I don't like about cs6 is that window overscroll doesn't work anymore
    this worked in cs4/cs5 on mac but they both removed old plug-in support and didn't add this feature by default.

but seeing how photoshop cs5-cs6 already has more improvement than painter 7 - 12, I can't really complain about adobe. better and easier colour mixing could help, tho.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikken I've logged that bug several times on the adobe feedback/new feature requests page.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Well there appears to be an interesting bug if you have DisplayFusion installed with Taskbar Mode set to "All taskbars show relevant windows". Undock a tab, drag it over to another monitor, and drop it so the icon for it shows up on that monitor's taskbar. Now drag it back to the monitor that has Photoshop active on it, without docking it. Congratulations, you now have a window that doesn't show up in the taskbar with Photoshop active on it. Which isn't really a problem until you minimize that window. You can find that hidden window if you need it by either doing Photoshop > Window > Consolidate All to Tabs, or Win + Tab.

I'm uncertain of who to log this bug with, as it could be either Windows, Photoshop, or DisplayFusion.

Edit: Seems its repeatable in CS 5.5 too.

Also would someone be willing to explain how the windows/tabs feature in CS is annoying, as I've been dealing with this sort of behavior in Maya since as far as I can remember, so I may have just gotten used to it.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how you are creating the CS tabs issue in Maya, Maya only lets you open one document and therefore can only create one item in the taskbar.
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12
    -The colour picker wheel doesn't show up?
    I don't know if you've found out already (or if it's the thing you're looking for) but: from CS4 to CS5 they've changed the shotcuts. Alt-RMB changes the size and hadness of your brush tip Alt-Shift-RMB brings up the color picker.

When selecting a color with Alt-Shift-RMB you might want to change to the hue slider without changing the sat/bright selection: while still holding your RMB press [space] to freeze the selection and move your cursor over to the slider. release space and you can change the hue while retaining your bright/sat selection.
    It's a weird combination and takes time getting used to but if you've got acustomed to it you don't want to change back. I know. I have CS4 on my MacBook and CS5 on my work PC. It's weird every time I go back to CS4 and the shortcuts don't work the same. Hope this helped you or at least somebody reading this ;)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur, my colour wheel is randomly working now. I always just hold the alt key when in brush mode I find that's the easiest way to bring it up.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    why doesnt the xnormal plugin work for for photoshop cs6????
    I just dled it all and can't get it to work.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like they're phasing out cs5 and below plug-in system in favor of extension manager (but I might be wrong)
    my old ps plugins are no longer supported too.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to dig up a majorly old thread, but I have finally found a workaround to my issue with the CS6 untabbed workflow and the taskbar issue of having a taskbar item for each document you have open.

I use a shareware program called 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, it always CS5 and CS6 to look the same as CS4 when you turn off open documents as tabs and disable floating document window docking. Instructions below, works fine on Win7 and Win8.

Download this program.
    http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Open the program
    Click on task bar inspector
    Might sure Photoshop is open
    Look for it in the list there should be a weird code above the photoshop icon
    Right click the code and select combine always

Go back to the tweaker look for left click on combined item
    Turn on open last window if inactive
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell: I'm using it in cs6, what's your problem? If it's just that it doesn't show up, that's because it didn't install. I had to go into the xnormal program directory and copy the plugin over to Photoshop's. Make sure you select the right one (64 vs 32).

edit: mind you, I've only used the dilation one recently. If there's an issue with the normal-filter one I wouldn't know.