Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FYP Character

hey guys for my FYP im re creating Adam and Eve in a Dynasty Warriors 7 art style i would jus like to see if i could get some input from you guys thanks :) everythin is WIP so far

concept2-4.jpg

this is the concept im working off

and this is my body sculpting progress

th_progress-2.jpg

th_progress2-3.jpg

th_progress4.jpg

th_progress5.jpg

th_progress6.jpg

helmetprogress2.jpg

this is just blocking in some of the big armour shapes

any feedback would be awesome :)

Replies

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey,

I'm no character artist and I know this is just WIP but to me everything seems a bit mushy and too smooth right now, even the body.

I'd say try to make sharper and more readable shapes. Especially if it's metal armor he's wearing.

Anatomy-wise the "lump" on his chest (don't know how else to describe it) is a bit too exaggerated, maybe make it a bit more subtle. Other than that, can't say much, so I better leave this to the experts. :D

Good job though, keep at it!
  • wolfonthehorizon
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    You really need to keep reworking the anatomy. It is really lumpy and mishapen. It is almost there. Really work over the hands a bit more as well. I would go down to a much lower subd and rework it form top to bottom and really get a nice form going.
  • wolfonthehorizon
    thanks guys ill give it a re work :) im new to ZBrush so if there are any techniques or brushes that would give me better results it would be greatly appreciated
  • wolfonthehorizon
    render.jpg

the battle continues !!!
  • wolfonthehorizon
    done some analysis of my model with my tutor and my proportions are really not what im going for, i want to strike a balance between i dynasty warriors character and a gears of war character,

paintover.jpg

with this in mind a quick scale will show what im trying to achieve,

newproportions.jpg

looking at the new Darksiders game coming out i love this concept of death, he has a very heroic triangle build which i would love to recreate but perhaps not as HUGE !!!

1244885-darksiders_death_super.jpg

this is my attempt, its no where near refined but finger crossed im getting rid of some of that lumpy mushy anatomy you guys have talked about,

newbody.jpg

any more guidance on the model will be greatly appreciated :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I did a quick liquify of where i think you're proportions could use some help.

1, original.
    2, proportional fixes
    3, smoothed out forms

anatomy2.gif
  • Adz Grant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking much better, man.

biggest issue for me at the moment is the back, the muscles arent quite how they are on real humans, if you look at the image below:

joel_stubbs_back_routine_b.jpg

if you ignore the ridiculous proportions of this man, his muscles are very pronounced, your model is too angular compared to real muscles, soften up the lines and bring out the butterfly shape between the shoulders and jobs a good'un :D