Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

School Work :)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Notes polycounter lvl 4
Just some schoolwork from this quarter...critiques as well as comments are always wanted...can never know too much right??? :D One of my teachers pointed me to this site when I started working in 3D about a year ago and I gotta say there's ALOT of talent and inspiration located here.

Mario_Box_Presentation.jpg

Presentation.jpg
Advance Level Design assignment...we were to pick an asset from UDK then reproduce it....learned alot from this tiny little object...

Shot04b.jpg
This was the final version after the advice/help I got here and it turned out nicely :)

Shot_01b.jpg

Shot_02b.jpg

Shot_03b.jpg

Shot_04b.jpg

Shot_05b.jpg

Shot_06b.jpg

Shot_7b.jpg

Shot_08b.jpg

Shot_09b.jpg

Replies

• DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    Well if nobody else is going to reply. :) I think it deserves some attention.
    I really like that you actually put together a whole scene with a pretty consistent style.
    But there is quite a lot that needs love and attention.

For game art it is a lot more respected when you present your work in a real time render.
    For single assets Marmoset Toolbag is a great solution. For environments/scenes UDK is amazing.

I feel 3 major parts make up a great model/environment
    Modelling (form of the model)
    Texturing
    Lighting/Shading (materials)

Your greatest strength looks to be modelling.
    In your texturing I see hints of good technique like edge highlights, construction elements, and adding in smaller elements that are not in the model. But overall your texturing work is really noisy and most of the time does not complement the form of the model or contain logical wear and tear.

Lighting and shading seems to be your weakest point. There doesn't seem to be any material definition.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    thanks for the reply Dennis...this thread went down so fast I had lost it...
    Lighting is my weakest point right now...I'm currently working on my material definitions as well. So far learned that conductors reflect light with a slight tint of its original material...there for i should use a spec base off of the diffuse...Dielectric materials (anything other than metal) reflect the color of the light itself..there for a b&w spec should be used...it seems to work well...does that logic sound right??? :P

I had a week off so I was doing tutorials and such....how accurate is this penny...in terms of material wise
    Results.jpg

just for fun :)

diablo3_coin.jpg
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    I figured out how to get my Starcraft door into UDK as well cause one of my other teacher pretty much said the same thing you did...Mental Ray looks pretty but it's useless in video games...personally I like it better in UDK...the ability to interact with it is awesome!!!

anyways...
    shot05.jpg

this will be the before picture as I delve into UDK :)