Home Technical Talk

How do I put two UV-layouts into one? (3ds Max)

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
Hello,

I was making an object by starting it with 2 different objects and my plan was to join them together in the end. So I did all the modelling and then I uv-unwrapped them while they were still 2 single objects.

In the end I wanted to join them together as a single one, so they keep the unwrapping but sharing the same texture space.

My question: how can I attach object B to object A, but keeping the uv-coordinates of object B and placing them in the texture space of object A?

I hope this is possible...

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    shouldn't be too hard. slap each object with an Unwrap modifier and unwrap, then move their shells off the 0/1 square so they don't ovelap when you merge later (for example, move mesh a's uvs to the left, mesh b's uvs to the right). collapse the modifiers, merge the meshes, add another unwrap modifier to the merged mesh and move the shells around to your liking.

you could also select both unmerged meshes and add an unwap modifier to both at once. this could lead to quirky results with some scripts, though, so be warned. i usually merge only at the last possible moment, preferring to work with the source meshes.