Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Newb to high poly modeling

[IMG][/img]Stagg_HPSCIFIDOOR4.jpg

Hi,

I am actually modeling this based on someone elses concept, this is my first attempt at high poly modeling. any tips?

Thanks ^.^

Replies

• -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far! Are you following the concept very closely or are u using it as just a sort of guide to follow?
  • Alucasia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's fairly close, the surrounding parts of the door especially. Thanks =D
  • megancheung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a high poly sculpt of a hand that I want to render normals and displacement maps for a lower poly decimation but I dont know how to preserve uv coordinates in the decimation process.
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megancheung: If I were you I would avoid that situation altogether. It's better to retopologize meshes and then UV unwrap the low poly version. The problem with decimation is that the edges tend to get all weird. Unfortunately that means that even if you DID preserve the UV's through the decimation process, your UV charts would have weird jaggy edges.

Alucasia: Your door is looking pretty good, but I'm not going to pull any punches here ;-) First, the two very thin fins running vertically on either side of the door about halfway down don't make sense. The frame is obviously made of metal. Very thin areas like that would easily dent/bend. Also, the bottom of those details, where they meet the corner shape, are a little weird. The dark areas of the mesh seem to be low poly, is the turbosmooth not active on those pieces? The most noticeable bugs on those pieces are the corners of the thin strip running horizontally through the middle of the door. Finally, when working with high poly metal models such as this, it's tempting to derive detail shapes from the existing topology. As an example, in your model there are two inset sections running up each side of the door shaped like a "C". It's not a bad practice to use your existing topology to derive shapes, but you must use these shapes judiciously. If you do it too much, your model can get wishy-washy. For future models I suggest trying to break up your surfaces more. Instead of following the broad shapes with your medium/small shapes, try to work in some shape contrast and push the asymmetry. Keep up the good work!
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Also can you post the concept you are working from. It might help us direct you a bit more.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i'll give you a hand but you have to post wires first! :)