Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fable Inspired Scene [ WIP ]

Hey everyone. Starting up a scene, now. Started out as messing around, and the more I put into it, I feel I may bring it to a full pipeline piece.
So, here is my reference.

cL9s0.jpg

And here is my scene blockout/High-ish poly on some assests.

B2qEH.jpg

What I have so far is a mess of high and low poly objects, you can probably figure out what is what. ( This is all geo, no normals, or AO applied)

Thinking I could get some critique with blockout, hoping for some too.

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice blockout. This should turn out really nice. I'll be following this one.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice. I take it your not doing closest wall with the rope over it?

The concept has some sloping edges on the buildings that you havnt added in. Are you planning on copying it exactly?

Will be watching ^_^
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I am doing it all. I just finished the fire place thing, and crate he is sitting on. I was kind of working from the back to front of the concept , minus the bridge .

What sloping building did I miss out on? I can't figure it out :poly136:
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry im not the best at explaining things, so heres a picture. Your edges look very straight compared to the concept. Not sure if that was intentional or not, i just wanted to point it out :)

Slopes.jpg
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, right, I did look at those edges, and realized I messed up on the house angles, I tried to fix it a bit. The other part, I thought was another blanket , so I quickly did a cloth modifier on a plane. It didn't turn out to nice, but I am going to go back and fix it up.

Kind of a update, you can see the altered house, and a few new props.

sWk0n.jpg

Thanks for the replies guy's, keep them coming.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i think the one under the arch is a blanket, it just looked on the wrong angle.

Anyway i am looking forward to see how this progresses :)
  • KingLuke24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like it's headed in a REALLY cool direction. I'me a fable fan so I'm definately going to be watching this. I'm a noob 3D designer so pardon me if this question seems sort of, simple. What program are you using and what renderer are you using?
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guy's.

@KingLuke24. This is just using Max, and to render I used a bright grey material, default scanline renderer with Radiosty turned on.
  • KingLuke24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Thanks. :) Really looking forward to seeing the finished result. :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    To me it looks like the shack is bolted to the bridge at the top:

ceulwws1_example.jpg

Otherwise, looking cool so far. :)
  • Jernej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start. One comment: The proportions of the crate and the fire thingy in the front are off, otherwise, great job.
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    I will also be following the progress of this work!

One thing that caught my eye was the thinness of the ladders, the hanging rope and the supports of the hut roofing under the bridge. The rest of the modeling seems to follow a pretty thick / chunky visual style, but these objects seem a tiny bit too thin to me in comparison. It is a minor thing though - and maybe it will not matter once you start adding in more smaller props and details. :)

Anyway, nice start!
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, thankyou for the crtis, and support!

@DemonPrincess- Yah, I defiantly see that now, thanks for pointing it out.

@Jernej- Thankyou, I just finished modeling them, and was trying to get them in the right spot, I will scale it down when I get home from school

@Dominic900- Images broke, but thanks for a reply, lol.

@Nina l.- Same thing with the crate, and fire thing. Kinda rushed those models, thanks for stopping me on it though, probably would have left them, I will for sure remodel them when I am home.

4qd32.jpg
    Basically here I am stuck, I have the right camera angle here, but my scale is off from the images, and I have all this free space on the left. Not to sure what I should fill it up with, any suggestions I am certainly open for.

Thanks.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I believe in the game, there would be a staircase over to the left. Kinda looks that way in the concept as well. You could also just keep the bridge going and add a couple more little shacks or a table with props, place to sleep, cart of fruit, etc.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Nice start on this piece, I will be keeping an eye on how this goes.
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for the hiatus. Got Arhkam City, and it took a few days from me.

Anyways, got working on it a bit today, little progress, but it filled the scene in a good amount.

3HwXS.jpg

Not really sure on if I am going to model any morebig pieces into this, unless anyone has a suggestion. I think I will start working on low-poly objects, and little props to fill up the scene better.

For texturing, since I am no handpainting master I think I will use photo sourced images, which I know don't fit the Fable games, but I am hopeful it will look ok.

In UDK I plan on using decals of posters to break up the walls, and the bridge.

That's kind of where I am right now. Any suggestions and critiques would be awesome.

Thanks guys .

Edit: Forgot to mention some things I ran into. It seems the house only has one side of the roof the more I look at it, so I couldn't make it look like it was nailed into the bridge, however I did move it as close as possible to it to compensate a bit.

The most left building/house thing I didn't really know how to tie it in with the bridge, because it kind of cut off in the reference, so I decided to just throw the left wall, and more roof shingles on it to make it look like another house.

Also, I do plan on brining the bridge over to the other side, not sure why I didn't do that before I uploaded, but yah, it won't just end like that.
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff. Maybe more like a straight stair case instead of curved as it seems to clash with the house next to it.

Like this maybe?

Fable-2-screen-shot-Bowerstone-Bridge-fable-1900016-1280-720.jpg

Cant wait to see some textures :)
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, small update here. Got everything unwrapped, and baked out a few normal, and AO maps, quick UDK render to see what it's like.

OMb9O.jpg

Any suggestions or critique or encouragement appreciated!

• Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Nice to see you keep working on this!

Regarding the last shot - I'm trying to imagine a human standing there, and comparing the ground tile texture to the rest of the objects in the scene. To me they seem a bit too small, what do you think? :)
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys.. really going at this slowly..not even picking it up some days. Mostly have been messing with trial and error on everything to do with texturing. Here's kind of a .. more recent update with a house texture, I think it's pretty rough looking.

zDKAw.jpg

Really looking for some advice on texturing this and a nice colour palette.

I am no 2d artist, so I cannot do a paintover, but I was thinking of using vertex paint to paint a snow texture on the house roof, stairs, and road/walk , been messing with it a bit lately. Then making a snow particle system or something to get snow in here. I was thinking cross planes like they did for rain, but snow instead.

Again, really looking for some critiques, I have been slaving at texturing this, and getting more uninterested every time, I don't want to give it up thought, lol.

Thanks guys. :)
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone?

Only time I will bump this, I feel needy already. :poly136: