Home Unity

Dx 11 Features

polygon
Offline / Send Message
schneller polygon
Just saw this over on the Unity forums. Some of the content looks pretty neat :poly124:

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/gamedev/files/gdc12/GDC2012_Mastering_DirectX11_with_Unity.pdf

Replies

• MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Interesting read, Unity has such great potential.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Fantastic! When can I get to use it?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    just about time unity catches up with the world of gaming.
    the current lighting model is no competition for anyone.
    i hope they realease this soon :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff, lighting model is rather nice.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    A lot of the Features don't seem like they should require DX11. SUB-D looks cool though, and the Hair and physics.

Is there any video of the presentation online for free?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    maybe unity will be a good contender for xbox 720 development?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Computron wrote: »
    A lot of the Features don't seem like they should require DX11. SUB-D looks cool though, and the Hair and physics.

Is there any video of the presentation online for free?

yeah thats what i was thinking aswell.
    i managed to build a proper detail normal map shader a couple months ago without much problem. the lighting and fur was quite interesting though
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I wonder how physically based materials will work out. That's something that's not really being done in games right now, or is it? Seems like if those materials were used for the majority of objects in a scene, it would get really intensive. Hence the need for render engine's like mental ray. I wouldn't doubt it's the future though.
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spicypixel polycounter lvl 6
    Sounds like it's just a middleman between realtime results and a easier to use for non game artists to recreate materials.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Stradigos wrote: »
    I wonder how physically based materials will work out. That's something that's not really being done in games right now, or is it? Seems like if those materials were used for the majority of objects in a scene, it would get really intensive. Hence the need for render engine's like mental ray. I wouldn't doubt it's the future though.

I think Kodde made a physically based shader before I think he based his work on that viewport shader off of the shaders used in Call of Duty Black Ops.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i gues physical based shaders are just shaderprofiles, for certain materials, opposed to the standart diffuse, normal diffuse, transparent diffuse etc. shadertypes that are currently beeing the standart in unity.
    like this the normals and spec always behave the same way.
    but with this new profiles you could asign a material like cobblestone, skin or metal to an object and it will adjust the influence of the spec, cubemap reflection, normals, diffuse etc, depending on the physical material you choose.

just my gues though, could be totaly wrong and its some realtime mental ray or whatever...
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Well it could be a problem because if it doesn't use the default blinn-phong lighting model, Unity will draw it in forward rendering. So if you have a scene with a bunch of these shaders applied to some small and large objects, and some lights, then you're going to pay a lot more for it.

Deferred Rendering is nice, because lighing can finally be pushed without fear or cpu-rape, but with half the scene not compatible you're getting better looking objects at the cost of how well they're actually lit.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Brendan wrote: »
    Well it could be a problem because if it doesn't use the default blinn-phong lighting model, Unity will draw it in forward rendering. So if you have a scene with a bunch of these shaders applied to some small and large objects, and some lights, then you're going to pay a lot more for it.

Deferred Rendering is nice, because lighing can finally be pushed without fear or cpu-rape, but with half the scene not compatible you're getting better looking objects at the cost of how well they're actually lit.

That was my suspicion for why they are showing off some of these (kinda basic) features. It's kinda like how Cryengine 3 had to be patched to resupport POM because, I assume, their move to fully deferred shading didn't support POM with the DX9 shader model.