Home Unreal Engine

Question upgrading udk builds

With the current environment I am working on, I have stayed in the March 2011 build of UDK. When I went to May a while ago, I had a lot of problems with lightmass. I'm interested in upgrading due to some improved and added tools.

Yesterday, udk would crash when I loaded my map. After a long time of trial and error, I narrowed it down to a few unused render-to-texture textures in my package. Once those were deleted, I could load my map without a crash.

I am wondering what your experience is with frequency of random bugs/crashes like this between the newest version of UDK and a version a year ago. Would you recommend upgrading to the latest or staying with the older?

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I tend to update once every 6 months, but it comes with the occasional issue.

Like for example, latest version of UDK has issues with the Alpha channels in 32 bit textures, they end being dithered for some reason, and i don't even mean LOD's, I mean they literally dither like a fresnel effect.

Also, at one point, in a release, the material editor didn't show bloom and glows correctly.

If you have the bandwidth, always download the latest version keep a couple of back versions on your HDD, just incase you need to revert due to an issue.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i update almost every other month. no issues with loading in older files to the new package.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Went from the 2011-06 build to the 2012-02 build with no issues. Later build seems to be more stable in regards to vertex painting tools and landscapes, could have just been on my end though.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been upgrading monthly for my personal projects and I haven't encountered any real issues. Although I've learned that you should run the editor once before copying your files into the content directory, if I didn't do this it would crash on startup.