Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- medieval environment (UDK)

Howdy!

I need some input from everyone-

I made a few modular pieces in a medieval style to create an environment.
I realized that they need another pass to really make them pop.
So I started doing some paintovers to clarify improvements, but am not sure which one works best.

The segments were modeled in 3DS Max with textures produced in Photoshop. I made high poly sculpts in Mudbox and used Xnormal to render AO, Cavity, and Normal maps.

let me know what you think. Thanks!

Windowoptions.jpg

Sorensen_Abbey1.jpg

Replies

• DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    lookin cool! something going on with your light maps in the second one. make sure you have the proper light map UV channel selected on your assets.

as for the windows i like number 1 because it adds shapes that break up the window. looks more natural as well as the change in depth with the blocks at the base.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Nice start! I'd agree with Frozan regarding the Light map errors, looks funky.

I'd furthermore probably tile the floor a bit more, alternatively scaling up the height on the pillars since it looks a bit weirdly proportionally with the pillars being so thick.

I like #1 the most.
  • uohm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Frozan-Yeah- I am spending today figuring out the lighting- there is something really weird there.

KarlWrang- the floor is definitely getting a makeover. I am considering adjusting the column proportions- also redoing the tops.

I personally prefer window #2, but wanted to get some other opinions. Back to work!
  • Timbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good dude but i think it needs more ambient occlusion like shown in number 1, I would remove the 3 large dark spots of black shown in all the numbered images

keep it up im looking forward to seeing this finished
  • uohm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timbo- thanks for the input!

Working on the low poly:
    WindowLp1.jpg
  • Huehueteotl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there going to be any logic behind the window variations, or is it just to break up the monotony? if so i'm curious as to what they's be. i've heard that some buildings took so long to build back then, that styles changed over the course of the construction, and various elements of the design were updated to reflect that.
    could something like that be going on here?
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    are these going to hold glass? if so then the windows are fine. if not, to me it seems weird that theres a frame around the bottom of the window. if there isnt glass there id think the frame would just descend down to the ledge of the window.
  • uohm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huehueteotl- I am not planning on doing multiple window types- just the one. The first pass version was too flat and needed more pizzazz. Yeah, some cathedrals took so long to build the styles changed, but I'm not doing that here.

Macattackk- yeah, there will be glass in the windows. eventually.

Worked on the sculpt last night and today- still needs some polish.

sculpt1.jpg
  • uohm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy.

So i survived those damn tornadoes that hit Dallas yesterday and got some updates-

very rough textures (still need some polish) rendered in UDK

updated%20wall%20and%20pillar.jpg

Also fixed the lighting on the environment- it has drastically changed the mood of the piece. Darker and almost sinister- originally I was thinking about adding seating and an altar/ lectern but I may be rethinking that.
    Also added quick bench models to help define the scale.

scene1.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • stxtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    looking forward to this... Consider adding a skylight in the middle to bring in some more natural light - it would also create a good opportunity for a central water feature which i feel would be very suitable for this monastic looking scene.
  • stxtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    also feeling option 1 teh most
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice!. I like 1 the most, like frozan said, it breaks up the shapes, adds interest.