Home General Discussion

The worst time to graduate?

I have about 7 weeks left until the end of my games design degree and I'm really worried that I will just end up like Yosser Hughes for awhile not even getting a look in.

I also have a contact in the industry who was at one of England's biggest developers. He didn't make me feel much better by saying he left recently to work in France because games development in the UK is on the decline and this guy is quite high up so he should know. He told me that there are an abundance of games design degrees and although there are not enough developers anymore to take all its graduates on.

I'm no labour supporter but it was a labour MP that raised a question to the chancellor "why is there no tax breaks for games development but tax breaks for film makers?" He was very ignorant with his response saying "you cannot have everything when we have a deficit this big". Normally I would support anything to do with debt reduction but on this case I see it as just a case of Etonian's probably never had much interest in computer games and therefore just pass it off as one of those "soft subjects" even though it was a computer game that was the biggest selling media product of all time.

If all biggest selling games were made in the UK surely it would be good for our economy on both jobs and business. But why would developers bother doing that while there are little incentives?

Replies

• easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Post some work! There is work in the UK if you are good and willing to relocate! Post some work! You might have to work a crappy job for a year or so while you stay up late polishing portfolio pieces but there are jobs out there if you are good, I promise!
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'v posted all of my recent work here in development diaries. Coming here as made me realise how uni is great for introducing you to the software you need and having a qualification on your CV but can get in the way when you want to polish your portfolio because there isn't the time to self set a lot of my own projects.

With my portfolio now I have things that I thought were great, you know when I was a 1st or second year but now I want to polish and modernise them, put environments into engines but there isn't the time in this mad rush to graduation.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Post your work.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    What are you hoping to gain from this thread?

Sure, times are tough. There's a lot of skilled, talented and experienced artists who have had to take jobs in completely unrelated fields just to make ends meet. You already have an advantage over a lot of people who haven't been able to devote the kind of time to portfolio development that you, as a college student, have.

Any college brief can be interpreted liberally - what's stopping you from reworking older pieces to a higher standard, or going above and beyond what's expected of you in your course?

As for now being the worst time to graduate, I'm going to call bullshit on that. Sure, layoff threads are far too common these days, but they have been for years. Depending on who you listen to, the economy in general is showing signs of recovery, tax breaks or not. Video games are no different from any other industry - too many graduates, not enough jobs. Either you go where the work is, or you're shit out of luck.

I do sympathize, but try working a full-time job, commuting and supporting a family - THEN trying to find time to work on your portfolio. Yes, it's tough, but what do you want?

-Less bitching
    -More working
    -???
    -Profit
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Same as it's always been.

Only 2 guys from my graduating class (2000) got jobs in the industry.

:/

The window of opportunity for artists to gain 'easy entry' into the industry was the mid 90's, and they had to know 3D software that was incredibly cumbersome to learn, worked on $60k computers (SGI Indigos), on $20,000 programs (SoftImage, or Alias Poweranimator).

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

The window of opportunity for artists to gain 'easy entry' into the industry was the mid 90's, and they had to know 3D software that was incredibly cumbersome to learn, worked on $60k computers (SGI Indigos), on $20,000 programs (SoftImage, or Alias Poweranimator).

I graduated last year... I've tried to keep as much tabs on my classmates who I graduated with. Of them, I'm probably the only on working as an artist on contract of indeterminate length (full-time permanent). The few who are working at game companies as artists are primarily "internships", the others working at Game Companies are in QA or Customer Service.

I don't really know what I did that set me apart... except possibly trying to keep my portfolio website as free of bells and whistles as possible. I'll be the first to admit, I think some of my classmates' art is better than what my portfolio had, but, they may not have had the ideal presentation.
  • cgmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgmonkey polycounter lvl 18

Contrary to my graduating class (2006) in which all of my class mates got jobs in the industry.

If you're good enough don't worry. If you're not good enough then practice, practice, practice.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    All this talk and not a portfolio in sight. I'll be painfully honest, I looked at your threads and looked at your work and they are all very.. avarage.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Hm before making thread about this, atleast have a portfolio in your signature,
    then everyone would have an easier way to answer you.

most people won't go searching to find your work, especially guys high up enough to
    consider you for a job.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    What are you hoping to gain from this thread?

Sure, times are tough. There's a lot of skilled, talented and experienced artists who have had to take jobs in completely unrelated fields just to make ends meet. You already have an advantage over a lot of people who haven't been able to devote the kind of time to portfolio development that you, as a college student, have.

Any college brief can be interpreted liberally - what's stopping you from reworking older pieces to a higher standard, or going above and beyond what's expected of you in your course?

As for now being the worst time to graduate, I'm going to call bullshit on that. Sure, layoff threads are far too common these days, but they have been for years. Depending on who you listen to, the economy in general is showing signs of recovery, tax breaks or not. Video games are no different from any other industry - too many graduates, not enough jobs. Either you go where the work is, or you're shit out of luck.

I do sympathize, but try working a full-time job, commuting and supporting a family - THEN trying to find time to work on your portfolio. Yes, it's tough, but what do you want?

-Less bitching
    -More working
    -???
    -Profit

Not interested in elitism
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm before making thread about this, atleast have a portfolio in your signature,
    then everyone would have an easier way to answer you.

most people won't go searching to find your work, especially guys high up enough to
    consider you for a job.

I'm not referring to individuals, just the wider situation with recruitment right now.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry if I was a bit harsh, but as I saw it, the reason for this thread was because of your difficulties finding a job or internship.

And such a simple thing as a portfolio in your signature could help you heaps.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Expecting to get a job right out of university is the actual problem - it just doesn't work like that in the real world, regardless of your degree or intended profession. Game art jobs aren't always available - studios are only going to be hiring when they have a deficit of able-hands, and in your average studio, that's not going to be very often.

You're also in direct competition with the thousands of other 'game design' graduates looking for jobs. I hate to break it to anyone with other expectations, but there isn't a lack of entry game art jobs in the UK (nor is it really in decline, there have been some high profile closures in recent years, but there is an epic shitton of new studios) - there is instead an overpopulation of inexperienced artists trying to fill them. There are probably around 100 vacancies going a year, but each university churns out between 10 and 50 graduates.

If you want the job, the only way to get it is to put the effort in and rack up an awesome portfolio. This means being unemployed, or at least 'flipping burgers' for a year or more until you have demonstrated a substantial enough skill-set to do the job - and better than the competition.

That said, there are a lot of studios in the UK - I reckon we have by far the highest density of game development studios in the world.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry if I was a bit harsh, but as I saw it, the reason for this thread was because of your difficulties finding a job or internship.

And such a simple thing as a portfolio in your signature could help you heaps.

My work has been up there for a long time, I'v had crits, people telling my work average here is honestly old news on old work, I know how to improve my own work but I simply don't have much time on my hands few the next few months. So lets start a fresh and not turn this into a crit thread, leave that to the pimp my work area, this is a general discussion of difficulties facing graduates these days.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Prbly a hard time to anyone at this point. You have some studios closing, letting go people that have way more exp than junior artists competing against you. Also, there are tons of more students now a days graduating from degrees that promise jobs in this industry. Studios are now being more selective on who they bring into their projects. I can see why it can be kinda frustrating to be graduating at this point.

It does help to A, keep tabs on your teachers, specially if they are in the industry. B, always keep your network of friends alive, you never know when they'll get a job and can help you in. My first job was because of a friend of mine recommended me when they needed someone ASAP. That and my portfolio. Which brings you to C, just keep working you on your art. Be part of this community. Here at 1p, we have hired interns and people and i know some of them just from here on the forums. So its always nice to see that people strive to get better and understand and make better art.

Plenty of modders out there that one can take part of as well. Personally, i just like working on my portfolio. Maybe do some art tests, those build your portfolio pretty nicely. Anyways... hope that helps... or is more towards the discussion you mean to have in this thread.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something super important. ALWAYS tailor your cover letter and portfolio to the studios you are applying for. You will notice that if you do this you have more call backs for opportunities. I guarantee it. Just look which studios have openings that you like, then create some small props, small env in that style and then address your cover letter to that specific company. Some people think it doesn't matter, they send the same cover letter everywhere. But it does make a difference. You just have to be smart and really do your homework.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ To back up what he's said about modding, it's a big part of demonstrating capability. Awesome artwork doth not unemployment break; having content in a real, working game is also very important. Many of the people I have worked with have themselves fairly extensive modding/indie backgrounds.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure is the general discussion area, I never gave any feedback on your work, I only mentioned what might help you land a job, which I though the conclusion to this broad subject was about.

Also If this isn't the thread were you want crits, you are still not having a portfolio in your signature even if it was your crits are ok thread.

honestly just trying to help you, and I'm not saying anything about your work, mainly because I haven't seen it.

Not that many years since I graduated myself, at an even worse time to be honest, so maybe my help isn't totally useless.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    People still get hired out of school - if you're having a hard time it's time to double down and work twice as hard on a new portfolio. I'd say this is probably the best time in the last 4 years to be graduating.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    Expecting to get a job right out of university is the actual problem - it just doesn't work like that in the real world, regardless of your degree or intended profession. Game art jobs aren't always available - studios are only going to be hiring when they have a deficit of able-hands, and in your average studio, that's not going to be very often.

You're also in direct competition with the thousands of other 'game design' graduates looking for jobs. I hate to break it to anyone with other expectations, but there isn't a lack of entry game art jobs in the UK (nor is it really in decline, there have been some high profile closures in recent years, but there is an epic shitton of new studios) - there is instead an overpopulation of inexperienced artists trying to fill them. There are probably around 100 vacancies going a year, but each university churns out between 10 and 50 graduates.

If you want the job, the only way to get it is to put the effort in and rack up an awesome portfolio. This means being unemployed, or at least 'flipping burgers' for a year or more until you have demonstrated a substantial enough skill-set to do the job - and better than the competition.

That said, there are a lot of studios in the UK - I reckon we have by far the highest density of game development studios in the world.

Well don't hate to break it to me, this is something I realised before I even went to uni as I am older than the average student at 26. You are right that there are many studios but I'm not talking about the wave of hand held studios I am mainly referring to how here we do lack big developers and needlessly because there is room for more.

Of course it wouldn't be fair to compare us to America but you know they have the military industrial complex to make sure their is heavy demand for large scale game development, what ever they say on fox news against games there will always be more demand for it over there.

Over here, do you really think the people in Westminster have a clue about the potential for growth there is with a healthy games industry? Of course its about quality rather than quantity but there is also few positions available by national choice too, we don't have competitive business rates here. Corporation tax for example, that can effect contractors and small businesses and its at 26% which isn't good.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to take a deep breath, step away from the computer and calm down for a bit.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course it wouldn't be fair to compare us to America but you know they have the military industrial complex to make sure their is heavy demand for large scale game development, what ever they say on fox news against games there will always be more demand for it over there.
    Oh god, what?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    A friend of mine who is graduating this year has already secured a job as game designer at Crytek.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Phil101 wrote: »

Firstly, that made no sense.

Secondly, game studios don't just sell to their home country. It's not like Nintendo only sells to the japanese or ubisoft to french speaking people. So demand in the US is good for all game studios.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here we do lack big developers and needlessly because there is room for more.

You're in Kingston. That means within forty miles of you, you have the following studios (that aren't mobile developers) off the top of my head:
    Firefly, Introversion, Rocksteady, Criterion, Lionhead, Media Molecule, Creative Assembly, Climax, Disney, Curve, Kuju, Headstrong, Novalogic, Zoe Mode, Rockstar, Sega, SCE, Microsoft Soho, Splash Damage, Square Enix, Supermassive - the list goes on.

I think it may well be possible that there are more studios within forty miles of your current location, than there are in the entirety of France.

Most of those are big developers, and the majority of that list consists of AAA console game developers. The UK games industry is definitely not in any real decline - the situation isn't favourable perhhaps, but there is no lack of industry here.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The actual timing is unpredictable.

Anyone would be lying if they told you, it didn't fluctuate like crazy. Just had a couple of friends go to Codemasters, and a couple came over from the UK a month ago.

As a whole, it's hard to think the industry is going through a 'low' right now. I'd say the 'low' passed by 2 years ago, and quite a few studios are starting to expand and ramp up.

I can't speak for the UK, but I do know Del got a job not too long ago. He left Blitz, which means theres likely an opening at Blitz.

Thing is, you gotta be as good as Del to capitalize on those opportunities.
  • 1tch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1tch polycounter lvl 8

Holy crap, I graduated in 2010 and work in the industry. Many of my classmates also..
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    The problem to me is not how much people are on the market right now. It's how few good people there is to hire. Studios have a lot of applicants but a shitload of them are just not to the level.

Most UK studios are struggling to find talent in UK.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    You're in Kingston. That means within forty miles of you, you have the following studios (that aren't mobile developers) off the top of my head:
    Firefly, Introversion, Rocksteady, Criterion, Lionhead, Media Molecule, Creative Assembly, Climax, Disney, Curve, Kuju, Headstrong, Novalogic, Zoe Mode, Rockstar, Sega, SCE, Microsoft Soho, Splash Damage, Square Enix, Supermassive - the list goes on.

I think it may well be possible that there are more studios within forty miles of your current location, than there are in the entirety of France.

Most of those are big developers, and the majority of that list consists of AAA console game developers. The UK games industry is definitely not in any real decline - the situation isn't favourable perhhaps, but there is no lack of industry here.

I don't live anywhere near Kingston.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly, the temptation to blame the government, or some other equally nebulous external factor, on the perceived lack of jobs is just way too tempting for some students and aspiring artists.

It's much easier than accepting that their work isn't up to standard, or that they could be doing more to improve their chances.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

and most of the people in the united states don't live near any studios have have to move for jobs.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Sadly, the temptation to blame the government, or some other equally nebulous external factor, on the perceived lack of jobs is just way too tempting for some students and aspiring artists.

It's much easier than accepting that their work isn't up to standard, or that they could be doing more to improve their chances.

+1

I agree with this point. It's also true that only a small percentage of graduates ever get hired. I know students from all over the UK and it's pretty much always the same everywhere. You can't blame your university and you can't blame studios. Some people just want the job more than others, so they put the effort in. There's always room for talented people regardless of their level of experience.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    and most of the people in the united states don't live near any studios have have to move for jobs.

I moved 824 miles for my first job, 454 miles for my second and 2,030 miles for my current, hopefully I'm done moving because there are a lot of studios in Austin, TX.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    ParoXum wrote: »
    The problem to me is not how much people are on the market right now. It's how few good people there is to hire. Studios have a lot of applicants but a shitload of them are just not to the level.

QFT.

it just depends on your skills man, you'll find work you have them...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Plenty of us dont have jobs, dude, degree or not. Make art, persevere, you'll get there.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    If you refuse to relocate for work, you're cutting out about 99.9% of the work opportunities, in what is a very competitive field.

Unless you work in a HUB, like Seattle, Austin, Montreal, or LA this could be career suicide.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I won't cut and paste the PM you just sent me into this thread for all to see. However, it seems that you just can't drop it, so here's what I would have said if I had replied to you.

Contrary to your assumptions, I don't work in the industry. I've been very slowly working towards improving my skills and expanding my portfolio for the past three years. During that time, I've moved countries, gotten divorced and a whole host of other crap that could have discouraged me from working toward my goals. Now, I'm almost 30, and I've still got a ways to go. What I haven't done is blamed all and sundry, including the bloody government, on why I haven't managed to achieve these goals sooner. I simply haven't put in as much effort as I should have. I'm also brutally honest about the overall standard of my work, and I'm not the kind of person to blame others for my own shortcomings.

If you don't like what I said, that's fine - but elitism it most certainly is not. It's the truth. If you can't find work, you're either not good enough, or not looking hard enough. There is no shortage of opportunities for skilled people.

All you've done by dismissing the opinions in this thread is prove that you're either too stubborn or immature to accept that your work is not up to par, or that you're making excuses. I can't say for certain one way or the other, since I haven't looked at your work, but it doesn't matter, does it? Even if your work were excellent, you've done a lot of damage to your reputation and image on a professional forum by posting with an attitude.

Ranting about the lack of government tax breaks, the American military-industrial complex and whatever else just makes you look like "that guy", who definitely wouldn't work well with others in a studio environment.

Since there are many senior artists here who could be in a position to hire you in the future, the best thing you could do is swallow your pride and start posting some work with a more humble attitude to do some damage control.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Make your own job? Depending on your skill set (and your ability to live on practically nothing) you can start your own Indie work. I don't know your situation, but I know Indies who have gotten by with freelance on the side or part-time jobs.

I was in a similar situation, but decided not to apply to places or look for jobs given i still have the ability to live off of very little and can afford to pursue my own thing.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9

This.
  • Phil101
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    He's certainly not been hostile. He's made some very good posts that tell it how it is, without mittens on.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I dont really follow this thread, but my take, their are many factors why people dont have jobs. A big one, they're not good at makeing art. You cannot really blame the goverment, school, upbringing, parents, dog, step sister who teased how small you were, for reasons why you may suck at art. You either have a natural gift and you get better fast, or your gona grinde your way to being good at what you do. Either way, it takes work and effort. Even at my school, I didnt rely on it to make me better, i took that effort into my own hands and worked bloody hard to be good at what i do. It paid off in the end. Moved across the country after college to be were im at. And if i didnt get anything on the job front, i still would have worked hard and sent in my resume to every studio on the planet, not giving up. Nothing is handed to you.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i think your work isn't terrible.
    if you were willing to relocate, have a well presented profolio and keep on searching, i think you could possibly score a job in maybe mobile/browser games. which i think is a good entry job to gain some work experience.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! wrote: »
    He's certainly not been hostile. He's made some very good posts that tell it how it is, without mittens on.

It isn't how it is though, he's trying to say its nothing to do with politics and tax and that's all people blame these things on which is wrong. like it or not politics effects almost everything. I didn't say he was wrong that employers need to take on people with the right talent but its naive and generalising to blame it all on the students.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goverment support or otherwise, the UK has one of the biggest and most developed games industries with a colossal amount of staying power and experience.

Apologies, I misread - if you're in Stafford there are still plenty of studios nearby (and it's not far fetched to move two hours further south from Stafford to work near London either). Crytek, Rebellion (do they still have a midlands office?), Eurocom, Codemasters, Blitz, Monumental, Strawdog, Sumo, Revolution, Traveller's Tales, Team17 and SCE are all within around an hour from you, and these are all pretty big studios.

This all said, I don't get what your rant is otherwise about since you're refuting everyone elses posts here - yes there are not enough jobs available for graduates, but there is no shortage of game art positions in the UK at all. The actual time you graduate doesn't make a huge amount of difference really; companies hire when they need to, and this may or may not coincide with your actual graduation - or you may have to wait. If you're having difficulty getting work after applying, take it as a hint that you need to improve; this means working on art skills, and working on building a portfolio of demonstrable in-game artwork. Outside of that, I don't know what else there is to really say regarding the topic title.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something I've found over the years - if you believe you won't get a job or that you'll fail an art test, it will become true. You need to make a complete 180 with your attitude, it might take you a few years to get there. It took me 4 years after graduating to change my attitude and actually put the effort into getting a job.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Maybe the industry is unstable, maybe it fluctuates, maybe there are too few studios, maybe there are too many studios?

One thing I can tell you for damn sure though is that the industry is small - and you probably just blew a lot of your chances with this thread alone.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Maybe the industry is unstable, maybe it fluctuates, maybe there are too few studios, maybe there are too many studios?

One thing I can tell you for damn sure though is that the industry is small - and you probably just blew a lot of your chances with this thread alone.

^ this.

SO goddamn much.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you make amazing art/work, you network and show respect it doesn't matter how much Osbourne doesn't give an F about tax incentives, how small the industry is, how far the job is, how little experience you have, you will land a job.

I think you should forget about the perceived barriers to entry and concentrate on yourself and making it so they have no choice but to hire you. There will always be problems and obstacles making landing a job in this industry hard. It's not supposed to be easy.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Popcorn.gif

On topic: I'd recommend that you set a goal and work hard trying to achieve it. Believe that the hard work will pay off in the end and you'll make it! I ended up at a small developer here in Sweden after 2-3 months of graduation.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Bit confused about this thread.

Question: Is this the worst time to graduate?

Answer: No

thread lingers on for three pages, OP seems dissatisfied.

*edit. three pages! woooooo